Please help! It's day 27 with no movement or internal pip from the duckling, what should I do?!

Pics

Cocelean

Chirping
Dec 12, 2021
Hi! I've never hatched an egg in general so this is a first - I've always wanted to hatch a duck myself and was given fertile egg from a farm I volunteer at (it's an Indian runner).

The temperature has been fluctuating between 37.3 and 37.7 but it's set to 37.5.

On day 10 I did mist the egg with water but then I saw an article saying wetting the egg was wrong because it prevented them from breathing by blocking pores or something like that so I didn't continue. It's day 26 well just turned 27 and the duckling hasn't done an internal pip yet - I'm worried that despite adding a wet cloth, the humidity is too low because the air sack looks bigger than the ones in pictures and videos (it was a good size yesterday and then today I noticed it decreased even more) - I added another wet cloth to bring up the humidity again. I'm not sure what the humidity is at for the incubator because it just shows the temperature, and I'm worried the duckling might not be alive because I can't see anything inside and the air sac seems untouched.

I'd really appreciate some help, it would be devastating if the duckling is dead or ends up dying :(
PXL_20211212_232735121.jpg
PXL_20211212_232821573.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Is it moving can you see it moving when you candle it can you hear it chirping does it have a bad smell what is the stuff on it is that a crack and blood.

Is it moving can you see it moving when you candle it can you hear it chirping does it have a bad smell what is the stuff on it is that a crack and blood.
It's just dirt, there's no blood or cracks on the egg - some of the marks are pencil lines to indicate the air cell and keep tabs on how far it's gone back. I also can't hear it chirping or see any movements because I can't see inside the egg at all (should I try playing duck sounds or smthn to encourage it if it's asleep when I check?), and I don't think it smells bad?

Should I poke a hole where the air cell is to get a look inside or is it better for me to wait out day 28, and only do that on day 29? Also, I took the egg out twice yesterday when it was supposed to be in lockdown to check - is it alright if I keep taking it out?

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't get right back to you and I thought it was a chick not a duck so I'm going to call somebody who tries to help you what's the progress right now

Sorry I didn't get right back to you and I thought it was a chick not a duck so I'm going to call somebody who tries to help you what's the progress right now
That's alright no worries! And thank you, I'll need all the help I can get! There hasn't been any progress - I tried tapping the egg to see if there was any response and movement but nothing - also tried playing sounds of other ducks hatching and peeping to encourage the duckling to hatch as well, but again, no response.

Last edited:
If you don't have a pre-calibrated thermometer and hygrometer inside there is always the chance of a delayed hatch. Candling it at this point is just risking shrink wrapping especially multiple times in one day. What has your humidity been during incubation and are your vents fully open? Do not poke holes in the egg especially since it has not internally pipped.

Last edited:
You will not hear anything until it has internally pipped. The air cell will draw down and appear larger shortly before it internally pips. Your humidity should be raised during lockdown to help the duckling break free from the membrane. Taking the egg out often will make it difficult to maintain the humidity. Do not poke any holes in the egg. That would only be for a duckling who internally pipped and then didn't make progress. (day 30 or 31 might be the time to consider that). Hatching takes patience.

Back
Top Bottom