Please help identify Ameraucana? Speckled Sussex

bjlral2000

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
Oahu, Hawaii
These little chicks are a little over a week old, picked up from our local feed supply store and sold as an Ameraucana and a Speckled Sussex. Can you help me with which is which? Thank you! Barbara

You don't have a pure bred ameracana. That's an EE. Ameracanas are often sold as EEs. The other is a speckled sussex. I have those same breeds also!

You folks are pro-awesome!!! Thank you, we had it the other way around. So the darker one is an EE and the lighter one is the Sussex? How do you know they are girls?

The sussex is the lighter one with the orange legs and white speckles on the feather tips, the EE is the darker one with the greenish legs and puffier cheeks.

The sussex will probably become the darker one once they both age, though, adult sussex are pretty dark brown.

Last edited:
You folks are pro-awesome!!! Thank you, we had it the other way around. So the darker one is an EE and the lighter one is the Sussex? How do you know they are girls?
Yes, the darker one with the greenish legs is the EE. I can't really tell gender yet as they are still young.

The sussex is the lighter one with the orange legs and white speckles on the feather tips, the EE is the darker one with the greenish legs and puffier cheeks.

The sussex will probably become the darker one once they both age, though, adult sussex are pretty dark brown.
Agreed! The darker one with the slate legs would have to be the EE. Sussex have pink or white legs. The sussex would have to be the ligher one. You can't be positive at this point of the breeding since there are a lot of breeds that have this coloration and are often mixed up by feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom