Please help! First time chicker with no clue LOL

Friskybinx

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Greensboro, NC
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I'm super excited to read and learn from experienced eggers!

I bought 4 SR chicks from a local hatchery because I'm an avid support local type of person and I really wanted these breeds based on personality. We can't have roosters in my county (I do have somewhere they can go live, or I will rehome them) and I'm trying to learn on how I can identify roosters. After tons of reading and staring at pictures, I THINK I have an idea? But wanted to see what you guys thought. They all just turned 6 weeks old today.

Here is my Ameraucana (I know these guys can be notoriously difficult until much older, but just curious if you see any signs yet). Super sweet chicken, always likes snuggles and flying out of their pen to hang out with me:
Americauna 4.jpg
Americauna 3.jpg
Americauna 2.jpg
Americauna 1.jpg

This is an Olive Egger. Massive feet, runs away when I try to grab it, not a fan of my snuggles lol:
IMG_5488.jpg
IMG_5489.jpg
IMG_5490.jpg

My Lavender Orpington who doesn't love or hate me:
IMG_5499.jpg
IMG_5495.jpg
IMG_5497.jpg
IMG_5496.jpg

And finally my Pita Pinta who is the SWEETEST chicken ever. The comb isn't quite as red as it's showing in the pictures because of my lighting, it is a little more on the yellow side with faint pink:
IMG_5491.jpg
IMG_5492.jpg
IMG_5493.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5498.jpg
    IMG_5498.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1
Looks like three pullets, and a Pita cockerel (sorry)...

But, the Pita Pinta looks purebred and it's a rare/pretty breed so you may have lots of takers if you need to rehome him.

The OE seems to have a little pink on it's comb, but with the likely Marans/Ameraucana cross it could be a Marans influence- not too worried.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom