PLEASE HELP!! 4 month Buff with Injured Leg with complex history!

kilowatt

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2022
Hi my name is Kathy and I am new here. I got chicks in August and on October 5 an Osprey attacked a Chick by grabbing her head and pulling through wire. I found chick inside run with injury to neck, head and chest. I’ll attach photo. Didn’t think she would make it through the night.

After about 2 1/2 weeks of caring for her every 2 hours or so in my house, she was doing great and started to walk, but her right leg would slide a little to the slide side when she took a step but otherwise she was ready to go out.

I built a recovery bay next to the other chicken coop Where she could be isolated. After about three days, she was looking weak, hanging her head and could hardly walk and her right leg appeared to be worse. Again, I didn’t think she would make it so I brought her back inside started treatment for wry neck in case she was vitamin deficient from not eating so good during her initial recovery. I evaluated her for perosis and did not think that was the issue. Tendon seemed to be in place.

After about 1 week of Wry neck treatment, She was much stronger, eating well, but her right leg worsened and she couldnt really walk. Also, her neck is crooked. Her vertebrae sort of make an S shape. it does not appear to be your typical Wry neck. You can feel the shape of her neck. You cannot see it in the picture you will just see that she has a bulge to one side and that is where her neck curves. I brought her to Avian vet. The doctor did not think it was perosis on the leg. She said it could possibly be wry neck, but due to her complicated injury, It was difficult to tell at that point. She suggested I continue the wryneck treatment and see if things improve.

I treated her for another two weeks and besides her leg and her neck. She is fine. She eats good she just can’t walk due to the leg.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to explain everything because there’s possibilities of perhaps nerve injury which is causing her neck to twist into this S shape? also could it be nerve injury causing her right leg issue? She had a pretty big gash on the right side of her neck, which was deep, but it healed quickly.

I brought her back to the vet yesterday she examined her right leg and manipulated it some and you could hear it pop she thinks the hip or knee is probably out of place but she said she didn’t handle ortho injuries and whether expert enough to do anything else for her. she could not explain the issue with her neck she said it’s possibly due to nerve injury, Her neck was not doing that two weeks after her injury. The vet also suggested that since she is growing, perhaps injuries to these growing tissues have caused some deformities.

Questions:

1. has anyone had a similar experience and can give me thoughts on what they think is going on?

2. Any idea if I can try to put hip/knee back in place and bandage her leg so that she can walk and perhaps it could set? If so, can someone please guide me to pictures or tutorial on how to do that?

3. Any other advice is appreciated. I do not want to cull this chick until I have exhausted all options. I’m very attached to her and can’t bear the thought of it right now. She does not appear to be in pain although I know it won’t be much of an existence if she can only sit on the ground, she can hobble around a little bit, but not much. .

I did make a therapy chair for her so she could get off of the ground and let her leg stretch and she seems to really like that and it’s comfortable in it she will even fall asleep there.

I’ve used this board extensively over the past six weeks reading everything I could. Thanks to all of you for posting your experiences. It really helped me.

Attachments

• 2AB64C58-554B-4DBC-96CF-834CD276A7D9.jpeg
    2AB64C58-554B-4DBC-96CF-834CD276A7D9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 16ED0120-B115-4FBE-92F7-FF8DA3A5AE31.jpeg
    16ED0120-B115-4FBE-92F7-FF8DA3A5AE31.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 739EDF36-98BA-4F40-82D3-6C0858FFA98E.jpeg
    739EDF36-98BA-4F40-82D3-6C0858FFA98E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 75372702-421C-4D59-825B-4C00BEE117E9.jpeg
    75372702-421C-4D59-825B-4C00BEE117E9.jpeg
    708.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 825F4DEC-752D-4AE9-9030-0BC6E7E59A79.jpeg
    825F4DEC-752D-4AE9-9030-0BC6E7E59A79.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
You've done an amazing job of bringing the injured chick to this point. Much of her problems could be nerve damage. Chicks are very fragile, and it wouldn't be surprising if some of this is residual from her attack.

B-complex, especially the higher potency formulas found in any vitamin aisle for people will cure a lot of nerve damage. I like B-100 complex. It's water soluble so over dosing is not a big danger. I would try it and continue the vitamin E along with it. Give it four weeks before you decide if it's working or not. I've had very good luck with B-complex fixing leg issues.

Thanks everyone! I love this chicken! Sara Lee is her name. I cried my eyes out at the vet yesterday and I was trying to check out and everyone in waiting room trying not to stare. A lady said oh you have a sick parrot maybe? I was crying and laughing at same time. I said no it’s a stupid chicken! I just wanted some eggs but now i’m attached to this chicken and have a broken heart! 😜.

You've done an amazing job of bringing the injured chick to this point. Much of her problems could be nerve damage. Chicks are very fragile, and it wouldn't be surprising if some of this is residual from her attack.

B-complex, especially the higher potency formulas found in any vitamin aisle for people will cure a lot of nerve damage. I like B-100 complex. It's water soluble so over dosing is not a big danger. I would try it and continue the vitamin E along with it. Give it four weeks before you decide if it's working or not. I've had very good luck with B-complex fixing leg issues.
Thank you! I’ve been

Thank you! I’ve been
I’ve been giving Poly ViSol 3 drops, B Complex 1 drop, Vit E 400IU, Selenium 25mcg. One thing I’ve had trouble finding is the exact dosage of the poly Vi Sol, and the B complex that I should be giving. I hope what I’ve been doing is ok.

I’ve been giving Poly ViSol 3 drops, B Complex 1 drop, Vit E 400IU, Selenium 25mcg. One thing I’ve had trouble finding is the exact dosage of the poly Vi Sol, and the B complex that I should be giving. I hope what I’ve been doing is ok.
Give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E daily. A little treat of egg or tuna daily will be sufficient Selenium.

The leg is an interesting puzzle though. She was fine and walking for how long after she was attacked? Your photo shows at 5, 10 days and 2 weeks after the attack the leg is still relatively normal looking or at least they are positioned underneath her.
So I wonder what changed there. If you had not mentioned she was attacked and I was just seeing the photo with her leg off to the side like that the first thought that pops into my head is leg bone deformity leaning toward twisted tibia.
BUT, since you report injury then likely it's due to that.

(Torticollis)Wry Neck is a term or name used for Neurological symptoms where the neck is turned, twisted or tilted. This symptom can be cause by numerous things, but some common ones are disease like Mareks, nutritional deficiency and trauma to the head/neck.
Hopefully with intensive vitamin support, the neck issues will resolve.

Hi my name is Kathy and I am new here. I got chicks in August and on October 5 an Osprey attacked a Chick by grabbing her head and pulling through wire. I found chick inside run with injury to neck, head and chest. I’ll attach photo. Didn’t think she would make it through the night.

After about 2 1/2 weeks of caring for her every 2 hours or so in my house, she was doing great and started to walk, but her right leg would slide a little to the slide side when she took a step but otherwise she was ready to go out.

I built a recovery bay next to the other chicken coop Where she could be isolated. After about three days, she was looking weak, hanging her head and could hardly walk and her right leg appeared to be worse. Again, I didn’t think she would make it so I brought her back inside started treatment for wry neck in case she was vitamin deficient from not eating so good during her initial recovery. I evaluated her for perosis and did not think that was the issue. Tendon seemed to be in place.

After about 1 week of Wry neck treatment, She was much stronger, eating well, but her right leg worsened and she couldnt really walk. Also, her neck is crooked. Her vertebrae sort of make an S shape. it does not appear to be your typical Wry neck. You can feel the shape of her neck. You cannot see it in the picture you will just see that she has a bulge to one side and that is where her neck curves. I brought her to Avian vet. The doctor did not think it was perosis on the leg. She said it could possibly be wry neck, but due to her complicated injury, It was difficult to tell at that point. She suggested I continue the wryneck treatment and see if things improve.

I treated her for another two weeks and besides her leg and her neck. She is fine. She eats good she just can’t walk due to the leg.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to explain everything because there’s possibilities of perhaps nerve injury which is causing her neck to twist into this S shape? also could it be nerve injury causing her right leg issue? She had a pretty big gash on the right side of her neck, which was deep, but it healed quickly.

I brought her back to the vet yesterday she examined her right leg and manipulated it some and you could hear it pop she thinks the hip or knee is probably out of place but she said she didn’t handle ortho injuries and whether expert enough to do anything else for her. she could not explain the issue with her neck she said it’s possibly due to nerve injury, Her neck was not doing that two weeks after her injury. The vet also suggested that since she is growing, perhaps injuries to these growing tissues have caused some deformities.

Questions:

1. has anyone had a similar experience and can give me thoughts on what they think is going on?

2. Any idea if I can try to put hip/knee back in place and bandage her leg so that she can walk and perhaps it could set? If so, can someone please guide me to pictures or tutorial on how to do that?

3. Any other advice is appreciated. I do not want to cull this chick until I have exhausted all options. I’m very attached to her and can’t bear the thought of it right now. She does not appear to be in pain although I know it won’t be much of an existence if she can only sit on the ground, she can hobble around a little bit, but not much. .

I did make a therapy chair for her so she could get off of the ground and let her leg stretch and she seems to really like that and it’s comfortable in it she will even fall asleep there.

I’ve used this board extensively over the past six weeks reading everything I could. Thanks to all of you for posting your experiences. It really helped me.
I seriously think it is SUPER awesome that you are taking such good care of her. It fills me with joy that some people don’t just cull their animals. I totally understand. I’ve taken my ducks to the vet before also. And if I hadn’t, they wouldn’t have made it.
I love the parrot comment.
So this reminds me of one of my little quail guys. He was born with slay leg, I tried to fix it but quail are so tiny, he wouldn’t stay in his sling I made him. It broke my heart. He was a happy little guy I hatched out myself. He had the same thing though, neck/head bending the same way as his leg. We could rotate it without pain into the proper place but it would always go back. It seems like it is a type of dislocation of some sort? I think that all the nutrients you are giving her are great, but keep with the physical therapy. And you know, you can always make her a wheelchair? Keep your head up! Just give her lots of love and a good life, that’s all that matters!

Back
Top Bottom