Plastic tote for a brooder and questions

I have used a plastic tote as a mid step between my brooder cage and living outdoors and it worked very well for a short time. You can usually tell when they are becoming to big for it.
The question of how old they need to be to move out to the coop varies, mostly it's about temperature. 6 weeks is considered pretty safe as they are then fully feathered and can regulate their body temperature. If you live in a cold climate though, you may want to add a heat source or find a way to insulate your coop.
Here is a good article on the subject-
https://the-chicken-chick.com/when-to-move-chicks-from-brooder-to/

I have a 31 gallon plastic tote, will this be big enough for 8 chicks?

Do I need to put electrolytes and or probiotics in their water?

And what age are they old enough to go into their chicken coop?

TIA
31 gal, that's pretty tight. I housed 10 chicks in a 50gal from Lowes for about 3-4 weeks. They were going stir crazy by that 4th week. Then they went outside to a 4'x8' coop with a heatlamp, with regular forays down a ladder to a 1st floor run. 31 Gal. should be good for a couple weeks, will have to watch closely for pecking and other mischief.

Electrolytes and probiotics can't hurt, just don't overdue it. I had one chick I thought for sure was retarded and wouldn't make it, however he perked up with electrolytes.

When they've got feathers and the down is gone. Mine might have went out early, but I didn't have a choice as they outgrew their accommodations. I provided a heat source so they wouldn't have any problems in their new digs.

I'm thinking that's probably the size I used for 5 chicks. They grew out of it by 3 weeks, and I threw together a larger wooden box with cardboard on the floor. They are usually fully feathered by 6-8 weeks, and by then they'll be off the heat and can go outside. If you do it right, you can wean them off the heat sooner than that.

You only gain 3" in length with the 64 (46.49 x 21.13) over the 50 (43.81 x 21.81) but it's $7.00 more. All the volume difference is in depth, which really doesn't matter at this stage. However either on would probably be better than the 31gal, simply more room.

an extra $7.00 will buy one of these..

41Uv5NHLNFL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

and one of these at Atwoods..;)

114357578_mason-jar-bird-feeder-base-green.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom