Pitweilers?

Good dog on a farm?

• Total voters

Everose

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ʙᴏᴛʜ ʜᴀᴜɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏʟʏ.
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Greatest Country Ever: Texas
I have read great things about this designer mix and I would LOVE to get one.
The one thing that concerns me is prey drive, I have a farm and lots of vulnerable animals here. I could of course get a young puppy and socialize it with the livestock, but I also have two LGD, and I don't want this puppy to be buddy buddy with my LGDs or playmates with my livestock. There are many reasons why I don't want this.

So to anyone who has had this breed or either of the parent breeds, would you get one as a pet on your farm? Or should I just get a super chill farm type dog? Do you think it would pose a risk? Or would it learn the boundaries and respect them?
The reason I want one is for intimidation factor, and also for being a house dog. My two current dogs are not scary at all and they're both getting up there in years.

Do you have homeowners or renters insurance? If so, check your policy as some have restrictions on what types of dogs you can have.
Nope, none of that crap out here thank goodness😅.
Sometimes I wish there were some type of restriction, because some of my neighbors breed them like crazy (with awful results) and I've had quite a few show up on my doorstep near death.
I'm glad that I can own one though because I love pitbull type dogs.
Thanks for the reminder Kathy😉

Designer breeds are not real. They are very expensive mutts, and often have the worst qualities of both breeds.
As a former dog breeder I have to disagree. I love my mixes and crosses. They're designer in my eyes, and I haven't seen anything conclusive so far that would indicate crossed offspring inherit either physical or phycological traits that are negative or destructive.

If you want a mix, I would suggest a local shelter where you can get to know the dogs personality and see if it's the correct fit for you.
I would normally agree but in this case I want a specific look and breed type. Rotties and pitbulls share many of the same personality traits and I feel confident in this mix.
I also want a puppy. You must understand that I am the type of person who would much rather adopt an old mutt and give it an amazing life than deal with a puppy, but in my case I think it's the wise thing to do.

We just got a dog breed with a very high prey drive for our hobby farm as a family pet and she is still a puppy so I can’t answer many questions but I can say if it is something you really want then try it out and see if you can make it work. You may have to make some changes to some things or the way you do things but that’s part of it usually.

I would never buy a pit or pit mix nor is it even a breed its nothing more then a mutt that people will over charge slapping a silly name to it

I would never buy a pit or pit mix nor is it even a breed its nothing more then a mutt that people will over charge slapping a silly name to it
I loved my pit puppy. It is an actual breed, helen keller and the little rascals had pitts.

Last edited:
You not wanting to buy this breed or thinking it has a silly name doesn’t answer any of the questions they had. They didn’t say pay 3k for a puppy, they asked if it would be good on a farm. We have a pit/boxer mix that we rescued and he is great with our animals. People will over pay for anything, it’s not limited to just animals.

Back
Top Bottom