Pipped 8 hours ago, no progress?

lauren3321

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Sheridan
This is my very first time hatching chicks and it has been very turbulent. First a temp spike, then a power outage. But much to my surprise one pipped this afternoon (day 22). I opened the incubator a couple times to add warm washcloths because the humidity was at about 50%. But there hasn't been any progress in over 8 hours and I am really worried. Also a second egg has been rocking like crazy for 8 hours but no pip yet. Is it too soon to be worried? THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.

Ok... I won't open the incubator for 24 hours but then what? Still no progress over the night. I can see her just gingerly poking at the white membrane (it already has a hole in it). The humidity is fine I think (70%). When I get home from work today it will have been 24 hours. If still no progress, should I help? The second egg that was rocking still hasn't pipped yet and the other 3 show no signs of life. I was thinking about taking the pipped egg into the bathroom with hot shower to steam it up and pulling back shell pieces to see if the membrane is sticky. Would that be ok? Or should I just keep waiting? It is really important to me that I get at least one chick from this. PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom