Pipd's Peeps!

Oh man, it sounds like you've had quite the time lately.

I was just chipping tiny mud balls off my bantam cochins and realized it had been awhile since I've been on BYC. So, stopped by to see how you're doing. :hugs

Yeah, it's been a tough few months here. 🙁 But, that's the hazard of having so many older birds around, I suppose. Hopefully we'll have a break from losses for a while, though I am still keeping an eye on Roha after how weak she was from those darn mites! Fortunately, they seem to have died down almost entirely already from that first treatment! :yesss:

Glad to see you check in, I was just wondering what you'd been up to! :frow Yeah, with the weather the way it's been lately, the mud has been ridiculous. I thankfully haven't noticed any major mud balls on mine so far. :fl

We don't have that much mud so not sure how they keep finding it. :D
Cheddar does his best to avoid me - so I have to pluck him off the roost at night to check. He looked to have a dirty bum and so when I clipped the feathers there, I noticed his feet were dirty again. Love the cochins, but they are my most work lately. LOL
Well I do have 1 issue. None of my birds from the last batch go to the coop. They perch on the rails or the rafters. So, I've had to put them up every night. The run is nice enough, but the top half is not closed off for winter, so they wouldn't be protected from wind if they stay out there. Now my 2 oegbs that go to the rafters would probably be ok - but I don't trust them out unprotected.
In the summer when it got really hot, I left them all out though and they were fine.
I try to remember they are living their best life, but I'm also over protective. 😂

Mine have what essentially is a swamp at this point right outside their coop door. There's only a little mud in their yard, but every time they go out to free-range they have to slog their way through mud to get out. 😩 Thankfully, I never seem to have too much trouble with my Cochins keeping their feet clean!

Haha, I think that's a rooster thing! Every time I have to handle my boys, it's either a wild goose chase to get my hands on them or I just wait until after dark because that's easier. 🤭 Hopefully the dirty bum is a one-off and you don't have to keep cleaning him up! One of my Silkie roosters got a dirty butt recently when he'd never had that problem before in his life--and I definitely let him go to roost before dealing with that because he's a pain in the butt to grab!

Ugh, yeah, convincing birds to perch where they're supposed to is a huge pain! They can be so stubborn about that!! Hopefully yours get the message once we really get cold for the winter. :fl Definitely hear you on being overprotective. I know for a fact that several of mine can perch fine on their own, but every night I still put them up to roost anyway, just to make sure they find their way to bed properly. :love

Well, I had another batch of cockerels processed today. That was a tough one. I definitely did not want to let some of those boys go, but I just don't have the room for so many boys here. 😕

Now, for the first time since mid-June I think, my head count is back under 100, just under 100. I believe I'm sitting at 99 birds with those boys gone. I do have a few more cockerels to go, but they were too young to process yet. Plus a few pullets extra as well. Hopefully someone shows interest in buying them soon before I get too attached! :fl

Bumping this up for another loss. 🙁 Marka passed away in the night after several days of exhibiting the exact same symptoms that her mother, Margaret, had had at the end, and at almost the exact same age that Margaret passed, 8 and a half. Marka was always a pretty low-key part of the flock, that is until last year when she was finally able to shine as the single best broody hen I have ever had raise chicks. Among several other hens who would forget their chicks or expect them to do way more than tiny day olds could ever do like hop all the way up to roost on their own, Marka was patient, gentle, calm, and fiercely protective of her babes. She taught them the best places to free-range, reliably warmed them and stayed with them when they were too small to get to some places, she helped them integrate smoothly into the flock, and she weaned them gently without terrorizing them or chasing them away so they were able to grow independent on their own time. I was so looking forward to letting her hatch to her heart's content this year, knowing that she would do an excellent job as before and not cause me worry over my 'grandchickens'. I'm filled with such regret that over the years, so many, many times, she wanted to brood, yet for various reasons I could not allow her to until just last year. 💔 I hope, now they've had some practice at it and to some extent seen Marka work her magic, that her nieces, Amaretto and Peanut Butter, can go on to shine this year as Marka did at rearing chicks.

Marka.jpg

1704899576890.png
1704899611593.png
Marka.jpg
1704899711800.png

With her gone, I no longer own any pure Silkie hens, just my two boys Reuben and Winter, and the half-Silkie hens Peanut Butter and Amaretto. I don't necessarily want any more Silkies, as I'm pretty happy with the Cochins and don't care for crested breeds anyway, but I'm thinking perhaps I should hatch from PB or Amaretto soon, just to keep some of that blood in my flock in the future. I do want to hatch from Gwenyth crossed to one of the silkied Cochin boys this year, so perhaps one of her sons would be fun to cross to PB and Amaretto next year. We'll see, I suppose.

Been a brutal past several months for losses here. Lots of old birds leaving us. 🙁 Here's hoping we're getting to the end of that now, though.

Editing in another because I don't want to bump the thread for it again. Vira passed away sometime in the night, January 12th-13th. She had been having some bloating in her lower abdomen that I was not able to pinpoint the cause of nor resolve, so not exactly a surprise that she's gone now. She was such a sassy girl, and one of the most memorable for her constantly weird feathering, doing things such as feathering in with 'eyebrows', keeping her juvenile feathering for over a year, feathering in mostly white with black 'shoes' on her feet, etc. Gonna miss my little fashion icon. 🙁

Vira runway.jpg
Vira.jpg
Vira looking up.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it's been a tough few months here for losses. Ugh! Thankfully, knock on wood, we seem to be handling the cold just fine at least. :fl I did bring the two OEGB girls inside a couple nights ago, along with Gwenyth just to be safe since she decided to molt and is already half naked even when she is at full feathering. :rolleyes:

How are your birds handling this cold snap?

They seem to be doing ok. Though a few have some frostbite on tips. My bantam rooster might have a bad case though as his comb has a line through it and his wattles are swollen. I'm debating on bringing him in, but I'm not sure if that would be best for him since it will be a drastic change. I have other options - a building that is around 60° or the shed with no heat, but also no real ventilation. But, with two birds, it probably would be ok. I would have to bring ginger in too because they are always together. They have straw and a wind barrier, but he's got a large comb and wattles.

Yeah, I saw a couple dusky tips on my boys' combs this morning, too. And Wyatt looks like he might lose a little bit of his wattles, they're kind of puffy this morning. 😟 But everyone's still running around and acting like normal despite the temps, so I'm trying not to worry about them too much. I can't wait for this cold snap to end, though 🥶

How bad is the swelling? Can he eat and drink still? Somewhere mild, not warm, would be best if you do decide to move him or anyone else. From experience, moving them from frigid cold to room temperature is pretty tough on them. The few times I've needed to do that, the birds acted like they'd just been transported to a 100+° summer day, they panted so hard for days. :th I'm not sure about the shed with no ventilation, these birds do put out a lot of moisture but if it's only two then they might be okay in there... But the 60° building probably would be fine as well. The room that I moved my birds to is about 55-60° right now and they seem okay with that.

Back
Top Bottom