Pipd's Peeps!

The Crele is out! :eek: :wee The bad news is, from what I know of other breeds in Crele, this baby looks an awful lot like a male; faint eye stripes and a BIG head spot. 😩 BUT, we're going to choose to believe that she's just a really light colored female and remain in denial until proven otherwise.
whirly eyes.gif

1622676244872.png

The Crele is out! :eek: :wee The bad news is, from what I know of other breeds in Crele, this baby looks an awful lot like a male; faint eye stripes and a BIG head spot. 😩 BUT, we're going to choose to believe that she's just a really light colored female and remain in denial until proven otherwise. View attachment 2700797

View attachment 2700753
Yes, stay in denial!

They are another not true auto sexing breeds. It is about 75% accurate though.

Unless they are a true auto sexing breed, and I think there are only 5 of them, they have to be a two breed cross to make sexlinks.

Oh, I thought it was males that look like females that cause the percentage that are incorrect, not females that look like males? I'll stay in denial for sure either way, though, just because of who I am as a person. 🤣

Here's the baby this morning, all fluffed out and in the brooder :love

1622728048873.png

1622728073426.png

And the two Chocolate Mottleds are out! Purple band hatched at about 5am EDT and red band hatched after I left the room this morning, sometime between 30 minutes and two hours ago. I usually don't band them until they're out of the incubator, but I could barely tell who was who when I saw that the second one had hatched so I thought I'd band them real quick just so I'd know. They'll join the little Crele once they're all fluffed up :love

1622728260869.png

Oh, I thought it was males that look like females that cause the percentage that are incorrect, not females that look like males? I'll stay in denial for sure either way, though, just because of who I am as a person. 🤣

Here's the baby this morning, all fluffed out and in the brooder :love

View attachment 2701519
View attachment 2701520

And the two Chocolate Mottleds are out! Purple band hatched at about 5am EDT and red band hatched after I left the room this morning, sometime between 30 minutes and two hours ago. I usually don't band them until they're out of the incubator, but I could barely tell who was who when I saw that the second one had hatched so I thought I'd band them real quick just so I'd know. They'll join the little Crele once they're all fluffed up :love

View attachment 2701522
I am sure it can go either way!

With all the hatching excitement, I forgot that I had taken the Cochin babies' pictures yesterday and never got them posted! Here are all the silkied Cochin babies yesterday at one week old. :love A couple more of them have gained names since they hatched, but we're holding off naming anyone else until the boys and girls are apparent from one another because a friend has been waiting since last year to name a pullet and I want to make sure she can do that. 😁

Baby 1 Wash.jpg
Baby 2.jpg
Baby 3.jpg
Baby 4.jpg
Baby 5.jpg
Baby 6.jpg
Baby 7.jpg
Baby 8 Harley.jpg
Baby 9 Coconut.jpg

And this is all they want to do when I'm in there with them - pile at the door for my attention. :love That is, when Wash, Harley, and baby 7 aren't trying to fly the coop on me and explore the room beyond the brooder!!

peep pile.jpg

Meanwhile, the new kids are all cozy together now in the baby bin, and the incubators are unplugged for the year. (Err, probably. 🤣 ) The third little one is here as well, just visible behind the Crele (baby in front). :love

1622770744247.png

And now, the Orpingtons' first photo shoot! :love In hatch order, starting with the Crele. I labeled their pictures with their varieties.

Crele.jpg
Crele back.jpg
Chocolate Mottled purple.jpg
Chocolate Mottled purple back.jpg
Chocolate Mottled red.jpg
Chocolate Mottled red back.jpg

Now that the Chocolate Mottleds are all fluffed, they're definitely distinct from one another! I wonder if their current appearance will reflect how much white they have as adults?

Chocolate Mottled back comparison.jpg

And the three of them. :love

all three.jpg

You'll notice that the poor Chocolate Mottleds both have raw spots on their beaks. That's because our little Crele doesn't seem to understand that the other babies are friends, NOT food! :rant Hopefully those poor babies will start defending themselves more once they really get their feet underneath them!

Last edited:
And now, the Orpingtons' first photo shoot! :love In hatch order, starting with the Crele. I labeled their pictures with their varieties.

View attachment 2703500View attachment 2703499View attachment 2703496View attachment 2703495View attachment 2703498View attachment 2703497

Now that the Chocolate Mottleds are all fluffed, they're definitely distinct from one another! I wonder if their current appearance will reflect how much white they have as adults?

View attachment 2703494

And the three of them. :love

View attachment 2703493

You'll notice that the poor Chocolate Mottleds both have raw spots on their beaks. That's because our little Crele doesn't seem to understand that the other babies are friends, NOT food! :rant Hopefully those poor babies will start defending themselves more once they get their feet underneath them!
Cute! Can you sex the crele from hatch, at least a little bit, like a Welsummer?

Well, I thought you could, but apparently not? :idunno First impression for me was that that little one is a cockerel based on chick down; it has faint eye striping and a big spot on the back of its head. Since I don't know for sure, though, she's a she until proven otherwise. 🤣

Well, I thought you could, but apparently not? :idunno First impression for me was that that little one is a cockerel based on chick down; it has faint eye striping and a big spot on the back of its head. Since I don't know for sure, though, she's a she until proven otherwise. 🤣
I bet you can a little bit even though it’s not bred for the trait.

Back
Top Bottom