Pipd's Peeps!

Just got home about 20 minutes ago. PHEW, long trip! I have a ton of pictures to crop, but it's already almost coop closing time, so that'll have to come later.

DD, unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay until the winners were determined because I needed to get home before coop closing time (barely made it! :th ), but I did get some pictures of their tabletop turkey show and the Marans club egg show! Will post those in a bit! :D

I am so sorry, DD! I was so worn out, I fell asleep right after cropping everything! :th

Like last time, I took way too many pictures and they won't all fit in one post. :p I aimed for more unusual birds than what I usually take pictures of... but there are still lots of OEGBs, lots of Moderns, and lots of call ducks. :oops: I can't help myself, okay? :lol: So, I'll put those and the events and such in the second post, just as a means of splitting things up. Here's the rest of them for the time being! Loooots of pictures, so they're thumbnail sized to prevent loading issues for those of us out in the boonies with poor connections. :p I'll make note of how they were judged if I remember, but a lot of them hadn't been judged yet by the time we went through there, and a few aisles were blocked for judging so I didn't get the chance to take pictures of some of them.

Ameraucana bantams! :love First was a gorgeous, heavily-laced Blue female, then a Silver female who didn't want anything to do with me, and finally a Wheaten female who was curious, but a bit reserved. :love

ameraucana bantam, blue female.jpg ameraucana bantam, silver female.jpg ameraucana bantam, wheaten female.jpg

Large fowl Ameraucana. This one was labelled as 'Mottled', but doesn't look like the project mottleds I've seen before... Not sure if that's changed since then. If I had to guess, she looks like an Exchequer-type pattern to me (dominant white over mottled). Still, absolutely stunning! :love

Ameraucana, supposedly mottled female.jpg

Appenzeller Spitzhauben. This was a gold-spangled female. I love the hairdo. :love

appenzeller spitzhauben, gold spangled female.jpg

True Araucana, a female in black. She kind of 'blew out' at the show and was in no mood for pictures. :gig

Araucana, black female molt.jpg

Aseel. This is a Wheaten male. He looked a rather lot like a dinosaur. :eek:

Aseel, wheaten male.jpg

Silver Double-Laced Barnevelder bantam. Oh, sakes, I love this color!! :love :love Too bad she wouldn't turn so that was the best I could do of her, picture-wise.

barnevelder bantam, silver double laced female.jpg

Dark Brahma female, clearly over this whole showing thing and just having a nap at this point. :p

brahma, dark female snoozing.jpg

Breda! I'd never seen them in person before! WOW!! :eek: These were both Cuckoo, the first female and the second male.

breda, cuckoo female.jpg breda, cuckoo male.jpg

Cochin bantams! :D First was a Silver Blue (or maybe Blue Birchen; they're the same color, I just don't remember what they called her :oops: ), then a frizzled Mottled hen, and a Splash hen who was just gorgeous!!
heart eyes.gif

cochin bantam, blue silver female.jpg cochin bantam, frizzle mottled female.jpg cochin bantam, splash female.jpg

Large fowl Blue Laced Red Cornish. :love She also looked like a dinosaur!

cornish, blue laced red female.jpg

Ko Shamo bantam, another breed I'd never seen in person! They were pretty cute, despite being very dinosaur-like as well. :p This was a Wheaten hen.

ko shamo bantam, wheaten female.jpg

Legbars. First one was labeled as Golden Crele, which is my personal preference for Legbar color. :love The other two were creams, but inconsistent in color. I like the darker crest, but the first cream female (who was standing awkwardly :rolleyes: ) was very pretty, too. :love

legbar, cream female 1.jpg legbar, cream female 2.jpg legbar, cream pullet.jpg

Single Comb Dark Leghorn bantam hen. Wow. :love That's all I've got.

leghorn bantam, single comb dark female.jpg

Blue Magpie duck. Big girl! :love I believe she was reserve in variety, but I thought she was the prettiest. :lol:

magpie duck, blue female.jpg

Wheaten Marans rooster. He was very relaxed during the show and having a bath. :gig

marans, wheaten male dustbath.jpg

Naked Neck bantams! :love EEK, I can't help myself on them, either! First is Black and second is Blue.

naked neck bantam, black female.jpg naked neck bantam, blue female.jpg

New Hampshire bantam. I don't think these had been judged just yet, but she sure was gorgeous! :love

new hampshire bantam, female.jpg

Phoenix. Both are silver, but the first one was off-color. I still thought she was quite pretty, a lot like my Dark Gray Dorking hens. Second one was best of variety if I remember correctly and had such wicked eyes!! :love

phoenix, miscolored silver female.jpg phoenix, silver female with cool eyes.jpg

Barred Plymouth Rock bantams. First was a hen, and I feel like she placed well but I don't remember for sure. Second was two boys trying to fight through the bars. :rolleyes:

plymouth rock bantam, barred female.jpg plymouth rock bantam, barred males having a spat.jpg

Polish. I'm not a huge Polish fan, but some of them were pretty. :D First two are frizzled, obviously. First is a Tolbunt, then a White. The smooths are another Tolbunt and a White Crowned Black. He was the only male I got good pictures of in the Polish, and WOW did he have quite the hairdo!! :eek:

polish, frizzle tolbunt female.jpg polish, frizzle white female curious.jpg polish, tolbunt female.jpg polish, white crowned black male.jpg

Rosecomb bantams. I always forget how many colors they come in! In order, these are a Black Breasted Red female (who was very curious :love ), a Blue Brassy Back female, a Blue Golden Duckwing male, a Blue Red male, and finally, a Buff Columbian female. The Buff Columbians that were there seemed super pale for buffs, that's not just the lighting.

rosecomb bantam, black breasted red female curious.jpg rosecomb bantam, blue brassy back.jpg rosecomb bantam, blue golden duckwing male.jpg rosecomb bantam, blue light brown male.jpg rosecomb bantam, buff columbian female.jpg

Sebrights! :love A Golden male and a Silver female. Wow!!

sebright, golden male.jpg sebright, silver female.jpg

Silkied Black Serama hen. :love :love I love those silkied feathers!!

serama, silkied black female.jpg

This Silkie hen looked Wheaten to me, but was labeled with a super long and complicated name: Porcelain Blue Cream. :confused:

silkie, porcelain blue cream female.jpg

Swedish Flower Hen! I couldn't believe my eyes with these birds!! This hen was definitely the prettiest there!
heart eyes.gif
The white and red hen in the background was also a Swedish Flower Hen.

swedish flower hen, female.jpg

A couple turkeys. The first was Buff and I honestly don't remember if it was male or female. I'm not good with turkeys. :oops: But that pattern was super pretty! I wish he/she would have held still so I could have captured it better! Second was a Sweetgrass tom in full glory. He gobbled a couple times while I was taking pictures, too. :lol:

turkey, buff female i think.jpg turkey, sweetgrass tom.jpg

Last in this post is a Welsummer hen. I think she was over the whole showing thing, too. :p

welsummer, female sitting.jpg

More pictures coming up in the next post! :D

Last edited:
A couple funnies while these upload. So, during the show, apparently a wild pigeon got into the show hall and was flying around every now and then. Well, every time it moved, all of the roosters and most of the hens would do that screechy alarm growl thing that they do. So every time that bird moved, there was like a wave of growls moving out from where the pigeon was to the edges of the show hall. It's hard to describe, but it was both amazing and hilarious. :gig

Also, there were these two Mottled Cochin boys in side-by-side cages who were the funniest darn things in the show, and I realized after we left that I forgot to take pictures of them! :barnie They were doing that treat chirp for everything. 'Bick-bick-bick!' They did it to each other, they did it to passers by, they did it to the birds on either sides, they were just chirping away at everything! Then their owner stopped by to check on their water, and they were 'bick-bick-bicking' at her hands as she checked, and got even more excited with their chirping as she filled their water. She was talking to them the whole time. :love Ah, it was too cute!! I wish I'd gotten her name--I'm in love with her birds! :love :love

Anyway, the rest of the pictures! Here are the Call ducks! There's a bunch, so I'll split them up to label for varieties. First is a Blue Bibbed female. I think she took best or reserve of variety, but I don't remember for sure. She was super pretty. :love After her is a Blue Fawn hen, then a Chocolate, err, hen I think? :p Can't see its tail from that angle and I don't remember for sure.

call duck, blue bibbed female.jpg call duck, blue fawn female.jpg call duck, chocolate.jpg

More Calls! The first two are of the same Pied Gray drake. He was stunning!!
heart eyes.gif
Next two pictures are of Blue Bibbed males, but they both seemed off-colored to me... Still, it was a very pretty color effect in my opinion! :love

call duck, gray pied male face.jpg call duck, gray pied male.jpg call duck, miscolored blue bibbed male front.jpg call duck, miscolored blue bibbed male.jpg

And the last of the Calls, here is a Silver female (she was either reserve or best of variety; I took pictures of both, but one of them didn't sit still), then two Snowies, first female, then male. Snowy is one of my favorite varieties. :love

call duck, silver female.jpg call duck, snowy female.jpg call duck, snowy male.jpg

Modern Game bantams. :love :love :love I wanted to take some of these home SO badly!!! First are Birchens and Brown Reds; the Birchens are the silver-necked ones and the Brown Reds are the gold-necked ones. They're all female except the couple males in that pen with multiples. :p

modern game bantam, birchen female severe.jpg modern game bantam, birchen group.jpg modern game bantam, brown red female escape.jpg modern game bantam, brown red female face.jpg modern game bantam, brown red female front.jpg

More Moderns; these are Lemon Blue and one Silver Blue at the end. They're killing me with their awkward cuteness!!
heart eyes.gif
:love These were all girls, too.

modern game bantam, lemon blue face.jpg modern game bantam, lemon blue female 1.jpg modern game bantam, lemon blue female 2.jpg modern game bantam, lemon blue female awkward.jpg modern game bantam, silver blue female.jpg

OEGBs. :love :love First is a Blue Golden Duckwing male, then a Blue Red female and male.

OEGB, blue golden duckwing male.jpg OEGB, blue red female.jpg OEGB, blue red male.jpg

More OEGBs; two Brown Reds (one really wanted a close look at my phone :p ) and a Lemon Blue.

OEGB, brown red female caught off guard.jpg OEGB, brown red female curious.jpg OEGB, lemon blue female.jpg

Last two OEGBs; the first hen was called a Silver Ginger, or maybe a Ginger Silver? That's the silver version of Ginger Red. The second is a Wheaten hen who was having none of my picture taking, thank you very much!

OEGB, silver ginger female.jpg OEGB, wheaten female.jpg

These are pictures from the Marans Chicken Club USA table; the first was an example carton of Marans eggs, and the second was a Marans egg show! :love Look at those gorgeous eggs!!

marans chicken club usa egg display.jpg marans chicken club usa egg show.jpg

This is the best shot I got of the tabletop turkey show. The judge seemed to be feeling the birds for condition and feather quality, but I actually have no clue of what was going on. :lol: They live-streamed it, so I can get a link of the video off of Facebook if anyone wants to see more. :) I unfortunately missed the tabletop Serama show, so no pictures of that. :hmm

tabletop turkey show 1.jpg

Oh, one last picture... Someone let their White Naked Neck bantam rooster get a little too under-conditioned for the show... :p

underconditioned white naked neck bantam rooster.jpg

And that's what I got at the Ohio Nationals! :D I'm hoping I can get there before judging starts next year so that I can view more of the birds before the aisles are blocked!

Very nice pictures and story!

It looks like a good show

Thank you so much for the beautiful photos and your descriptions

Absolutely! :) It was a lot of fun!

Not sure if this will work, but since I wasn't able to stay and see the winners and take pictures, here's Champion Row as posted on their FB page:

And a link in case that doesn't work.

Editing in, here. I thought I would add what each bird was in case the video doesn't work or anyone can't read the cards. :) In order of appearance in the video:
  • Black and White Magpie pullet - Best Light Duck (and reserve duck)
  • White Indian Runner cock - Reserve Light Duck
  • Buff Duck hen - Reserve Medium Duck
  • Rouen pullet - Reserve Heavy Duck
  • Gold Phoenix large fowl (LF) cock - Reserve All Other Standard Breeds (AOSB)
  • Single Comb White Leghorn LF pullet - Reserve Mediterranean
  • White Crested Black Polish LF pullet - Reserve Continental
  • Dark Cornish LF hen - Reserve English
  • Light Brahma LF pullet - Reserve Asiatic
  • Black Jersey Giant LF hen - Reserve American
  • Black East Indie pullet - Reserve Bantam Duck
  • White Plymouth Rock bantam cockerel - Reserve Single Comb Clean Legged (SCCL) bantam (and reserve bantam)
  • Bearded White Silkie bantam pullet - Reserve Feather Legged (FL) bantam
  • Black Ameraucana bantam pullet - Reserve All Other Combs Clean Legged (AOCCL) bantam
  • Black Rosecomb bantam pullet - Reserve Rose Comb Clean Legged (RCCL) bantam
  • White Old English Game bantam pullet - Reserve Game bantam
  • Birchen Modern Game bantam pullet - Reserve Modern bantam
  • Black Turkey cock - Best Turkey
  • Brown African cock - Best Heavy Goose (and champion goose)
  • Lemon Blue Modern Game bantam - Best Modern bantam
  • Black Old English Game bantam Cockerel - Best Game bantam
  • White Wyandotte bantam cockerel - Best RCCL bantam
  • White Crested Blue Polish bantam hen - Best AOCCL bantam
  • Buff Brahma bantam pullet - Best FL bantam
  • Single Comb White Leghorn bantam pullet - Best SCCL bantam (and champion bantam, and 2019 Supreme Champion of Show)
  • White Call Duck pullet - Best Bantam Duck
  • Single Comb Rhode Island Red LF cockerel (having a dust bath :rolleyes: ) - Best American
  • Black Cochin LF cockerel - Best Asiatic
  • Black Australorp LF pullet - Best English (and champion LF)
  • Silver Spangled Hamburg LF pullet - Best Continental
  • Single Comb Light Brown Leghorn LF pullet - Best Mediterranean (and reserve LF)
  • Black Ameraucana LF pullet - Best AOSB
  • Pekin pullet - Best Heavy Duck (and champion duck)
  • Cayuga cock - Best Medium Duck
And back to the Magpie duck, then around Champion Row again. :)

Edited in a few more details I've learned since.

Looks good! What do you keep in your rooster pens? I always loved the idea of "rescuing" boys and having a bachelor coop.

@Fatimetta I'm so sorry, I just realized I never replied to this! :th

My rooster pens are 4x8 foot, 4-foot tall boxes basically, with a frame at the center that I can attach wire to to divide them into two 4x4 pens. The walls are all wire, but covered in spots for weather protection, and I cover them up more for the wintertime. I have 3 birds each (the 'big boy' group of Murphy the Marans, and Darwin and Dante the Dorkings, and then the 'little guy' group of Roscoe, Russell, and Rufus the silkied Cochins) in the 4x8 pens and 1 bird each (Jasper the Mottled Cochin and Ben the Silkie) in the 4x4 pens.

The boys have their food and water, of course, and something to perch on (though I still need to get around to improving the perches for the single boys as they're currently just chunks of 4x4 board sitting on the ground vs the raised perches I built from scrap wood for the others... :oops: ). I also put fence up so that the larger groups can come outside for a bit more space, and I can throw temporary fence up to let the single boys out as well. They have sand floors for ease of cleaning and so they have something to dust bathe in, and in the fall I throw leaves in there on top of it for them to snuggle down in. It's an existence. I worry about whether it's right to keep them this way sometimes, but they're together with only wire separations, and they share a fence with the girls and get to flirt with them whenever they come around, so at least they aren't totally isolated, right? :)

I hope that answered your question! I like the idea of rescuing boys, too, since there are so many unwanted roosters that have a lot of potential. I unfortunately just don't have the room, personally, with the breeding roosters I have kept back in the rooster pens right now. :hmm But best of luck to you if you end up doing so! There are a few articles and threads about keeping rooster flocks around BYC for more reading on that, too. :D

Last edited:
Well, holy SNOW! :eek: I guess winter is here for us a bit early! It seems like we usually get a snow in November, but not usually an accumulation like this! It's still coming down, too!

woods.jpg

Of course, the girls are having none of it, as is the usual. :rolleyes:

1 hiding in the coop.jpg
2 hiding in the coop.jpg

The pullets are handling it pretty well, though! They don't want to walk in it, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be much panic among them. :p Here's Mona, frozen in time as the snow came down on her.

Mona frozen.jpg

She and the OEGBs were hiding out under the boat while the rest of the flock were up at the coop. Lookit my poor teeny-tinies hiding under there! :love

hiding oegbs.jpg
mona hides too.jpg
mona lookin innocent.jpg
oegbs and mona.jpg

After some encouragement, I managed to get them back to the coop, though I did take pity on my poor, precious little OEGB girls and carried them back. :love :love Rigel was too proud to be carried, so he walked, leaving a trail of teeny-tiny footprints behind.

rigel footprints.jpg

Meanwhile, Fifi stayed up on the deck, but she wasn't necessarily shying away from the snow, as evidenced by the dusting on her back. :p

fifi snowy.jpg

Oh, that beard! :love

fifi glorious.jpg

Ganymede doesn't care in the least. She glowered at me from the deck...

Grumpy Ganymede.jpg

...Then glowered at me from outside. :rolleyes: Grouch!

ganymede braves the snow.jpg

Once she was done with her excursion and had returned to the coop, I went ahead and closed the deck up to stop the snow from blowing in as badly. No one seemed too upset by that. :p So, on the plus side I don't have to worry about lockup tonight. :D

Well, holy SNOW! :eek: I guess winter is here for us a bit early! It seems like we usually get a snow in November, but not usually an accumulation like this! It's still coming down, too!

View attachment 1956987

Of course, the girls are having none of it, as is the usual. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1956974 View attachment 1956975

The pullets are handling it pretty well, though! They don't want to walk in it, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be much panic among them. :p Here's Mona, frozen in time as the snow came down on her.

View attachment 1956981

She and the OEGBs were hiding out under the boat while the rest of the flock were up at the coop. Lookit my poor teeny-tinies hiding under there! :love

View attachment 1956980 View attachment 1956982 View attachment 1956983 View attachment 1956984

After some encouragement, I managed to get them back to the coop, though I did take pity on my poor, precious little OEGB girls and carried them back. :love :love Rigel was too proud to be carried, so he walked, leaving a trail of teeny-tiny footprints behind.

View attachment 1956985

Meanwhile, Fifi stayed up on the deck, but she wasn't necessarily shying away from the snow, as evidenced by the dusting on her back. :p

View attachment 1956977

Oh, that beard! :love

View attachment 1956976

Ganymede doesn't care in the least. She glowered at me from the deck...

View attachment 1956979

...Then glowered at me from outside. :rolleyes: Grouch!

View attachment 1956978

Once she was done with her excursion and had returned to the coop, I went ahead and closed the deck up to stop the snow from blowing in as badly. No one seemed too upset by that. :p So, on the plus side I don't have to worry about lockup tonight. :D
My Girls would wonder what that white stuff is! They have never seen snow LOL

My Girls would wonder what that white stuff is! They have never seen snow LOL

Haha, I'll bet! We got about 3 inches total, maybe 4, it's hard to tell. This morning, we're looking like a winter wonderland. :th

next morning 1.jpg
next morning 2.jpg

The OEGBs and molters are doing surprisingly well, though I am a bit worried about Bry since she's so naked, and she looks like she's shivering a bit... The OEGBs just seem a bit grumpy, though. :p I had to move the two pullets off the feed bin to get everyone fed for the day and they were grumbling the whole way.

Back
Top Bottom