Pipd's Peeps!

Can't wait to see the little Easter Silkies :jumpy

Oh, same here! :D Should be interesting to see what the babies look like. I expect half of them to be dominant white, but the other half could look like just about anything! Winter, himself, is half Paint and half Porcelain, but is pure white, I assume because he inherited Dominant White from his dad. In theory, he's carrying lavender and some sort of duckwing gene from his mom, and potentially anything else that Reuby may have hidden in his genes as well. Combined with the EE girls, it could be a really colorful hatch... or they could be all black and white chicks with no real variation. :p

Haha, yes, that's for sure! I'm definitely hoping for lots of color, too. I've not really hatched or tried to hatch anything that I didn't have a good idea what the chicks would look like overall, so it's really exciting!! I guess I see the appeal to mixing breeds now. :lol:

The eggs are in lockdown. I'm a bit concerned for some of them, however. The bator must have run dry at some point today and I didn't notice, so it's been going without water for an unknown amount of time today. Some of the eggs have quite large air cells, and Eggs B and P look like they may have internally pipped already. :eek: The part that worries me is Egg P, whose pip looks like it has a bit of blood spatter around it. :hmm All babies are moving around as they should be at this stage, and Egg R wiggled a bit after I put it down. :fl Man, I hope I didn't mess up things for these poor babies.

Here is as good of a picture as I could get of Egg P. Both are the same picture, but in the second one I circled the part that is red like blood when viewed in person. You can also see how big the air cell got between now and day 14. :hmm

Egg P day 18 internal pip with blood 1.jpg Egg P day 18 internal pip with blood 2.jpg

So far so good this morning, technically still day 18. I just checked Egg P since it's still dark enough to candle, and despite that red spatter still being visible (but, on the positive side, no worse than it was last night), I heard some faint peeping! I guess that means she's officially officially internally pipped! :eek: Time to sit back and keep my hands off!!

The eggs are in lockdown. I'm a bit concerned for some of them, however. The bator must have run dry at some point today and I didn't notice, so it's been going without water for an unknown amount of time today. Some of the eggs have quite large air cells, and Eggs B and P look like they may have internally pipped already. :eek: The part that worries me is Egg P, whose pip looks like it has a bit of blood spatter around it. :hmm All babies are moving around as they should be at this stage, and Egg R wiggled a bit after I put it down. :fl Man, I hope I didn't mess up things for these poor babies.

Here is as good of a picture as I could get of Egg P. Both are the same picture, but in the second one I circled the part that is red like blood when viewed in person. You can also see how big the air cell got between now and day 14. :hmm

View attachment 1714569 View attachment 1714570
They developed faster than expected. It is not a bad thing!

You will have lots of chicks soon!

Back
Top Bottom