Pipd's Peeps!

It does not look like the Gwenyth egg is developing. :( Obviously, I'll take a closer look when I candle in a bit, here, but I don't think we've got a baby Gwenny on the way.

On the plus side, that means I can pair her with the rooster I actually wanted to breed her to and most likely will get chicks from him instead of any of the mixed flock boys. I was thinking Birch, since he's Splash so should give the blue gene to all of his offspring along with the silkie-feather gene. :fl

Day 7 candling is done. As suspected, there were 5 clears among the Cochin eggs, and the Gwenyth egg is, indeed, clear. That leaves 7 Cochin eggs that are developing. Concerningly, a couple of them seem to have pretty thin veining... Air cells are on track, I've double and triple checked my incubator temperature, and the turner seems to be working (it beeps when it turns and I hear the beeping occasionally when I'm around the house), so I'm not really sure what's up. 🤔 I guess we'll see what happens with the next batch.

Regarding them, I checked Buck's pen for eggs and there were three, but one is a bit poopy so I decided I'd go ahead and pass on that one. There's a hen that appears to be getting ready to lay in there, so I'm waiting on her egg before I set. :fl

Maybe you're doing TOO good of a job at breeding beautiful fluffy birds so they aren't getting fertilized as well?

I'm sorry you have so many clears, I hope Buck's batch develop better :hugs

Maybe... 🤔 I could do some booty trimming and see if that would help. I tried that on my green pen last year, but it turned out that Gus II just didn't like breeding in colder weather, so it ended up not even helping. :rolleyes:

I did get the Buck pen eggs in yesterday, I just was wiped by the end of the day and went right to bed after coop closing. 16 eggs from that pen. I honestly am not sure how well they'll do. Spending so much time out there yesterday waiting for that one last egg, I witnessed a couple, err, not so graceful attempts at breeding by Buck. 😅 I guess we'll see on that!

Did my candleing and one Crevecoeur and one silkie had quit. Pulled them but the rest I could see feet and beaks moving. Should have room in the 56ex for the two dozen rosecombs once they get here.

Eek, I love when you can see their little feet in there! :love Let us know how the rosecomb eggs are looking when you pick them up :fl

Maybe... 🤔 I could do some booty trimming and see if that would help. I tried that on my green pen last year, but it turned out that Gus II just didn't like breeding in colder weather, so it ended up not even helping. :rolleyes:

I did get the Buck pen eggs in yesterday, I just was wiped by the end of the day and went right to bed after coop closing. 16 eggs from that pen. I honestly am not sure how well they'll do. Spending so much time out there yesterday waiting for that one last egg, I witnessed a couple, err, not so graceful attempts at breeding by Buck. 😅 I guess we'll see on that!

Eek, I love when you can see their little feet in there! :love Let us know how the rosecomb eggs are looking when you pick them up :fl
My friend is test incubating some eggs for me from my young pen, I've seen some rather ungraceful and odd attempts in that pen, so I'm really not sure how successful things are. I'll know in a few days though, and the best part is, I'm not even having to do the work 😁 I have so many chicks right now I just couldn't hatch more (well, I always could, but...) and I'm so curious if they are fertilized and viable, so win-win!

Poor Gus II, he was already cold so wasn't breeding and you gave him a draft in his pants 🤭 who'd have thought!?!

Haha, oh my goodness, I didn't even think about that!! 🤣 Poor Gus II and his cold booty!

What are you testing with this test-hatch? :pop Our poor young men, they're trying their best to woo their ladies. 🤭
6 silkie eggs from stock I bought from a show breeder. The ones I bought have still have flaws, but at least they are proper SOP colors and for the most part have a tad better conformation than my first group of silkies. It's a black over blacks and splashes, so I'm super curious to see what shade blue comes out!!!

The cockerel is very sweet, he showed them the oyster shell right away and got them all to try it. They surprised me with an egg so I hurried and added a little oyster shell dish, and he went right over and made a big fuss about it and it totally worked. It was so cute. What he lacks toward the SOP he makes up for with perfect behavior. I have another cockerel from the same breeder who will not get a chance to provide me with offspring, he is not a nice boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom