Pinning down a rooster - does it work?

Thanks everyone! I'm so disappointed that he turned out like this. I lucked out with my previous rooster, since I've never experienced this. Shoot. I guess I'll see what happens - if he gets worse, I'll have to (sob) cull. :rolleyes:
I have one roo that was so docile and friendly that we swore he was a hen. We still have Bonsai. We have a cream legbar cockerel that has good days and bad days - but seems to be mellowing at almost 1 year.

Hey everyone!

My rooster tried to attack me this afternoon - so now I am looking up how to deal with this! I'm hoping not to cull, as I just got this roo from a friend, who said he was friendly. Up until now, he had been okay.

Does pinning him down on the ground and holding his neck down actually work? I'm not looking for what I need to do with him, just wondering if anyone has used this method and if it works.

Thanks so much!
How old is he?
Does he have hens?

He's friendly to his previous owner cause this person raised him, your a stranger to him of course he's going to attack you.

The way to remedy his behavior is letting him get use to your presence and his new home. This process takes time because not all rooster learn as quickly as others.

It's important to stand your ground when your around him. Just push him in the direction you want him away from you or place a loose plastic bag in your hand or dangle it off your pocket. Most chickens are scared of plastic bags. Remember to be repetitive in your actions with him.

When he does a dance near your feet, walk away. His way of dominating what's in front of him.

Time and patience will change his behavior.
Thanks so much. I was scared to back in the pen after that, and really upset that I can't trust him now. I was hoping that time would take care of it, so thanks for your reply. 👍

I'm not sure how old he is. He is full-grown - maybe a couple years old? Just got him about 10 days ago, and he has 9 hens.
I'm going to assume as you've implied, that you would like to keep the chap.
Let me give you his side of the story.
He got roosternapped. He's in a strange place, strange hens, strange routines and I suspect, a lot of what he sees as intereference on your part. Not really surprising he's a bit tetchy.
He's got to gain the confidence of the hens and to do that he needs to be seen as the providor and the protector. The hens are his hens now, not yours.
This in my opinion is a situation that can be brought to a working relationship but you may have to adjust your behaviour rather than expecting him to adjust his.

I suggest you read this article and think about any of the things that you probably do out of habit that are mentioned in the article such as picking up the hens, or feeding them without his approval etc.

He needs to feel he's the boss and that is where you're efforts should go.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Thanks a lot. That makes sense. I'll read the article, and hopefully things work out. I was doing a chicken checkup and picking up the hens when he attacked.

I've noticed that my hens that were easy to grab and liked being held are now skittish. Does this have to do with their new flock leader?
Yes.

Thanks a lot. That makes sense. I'll read the article, and hopefully things work out. I was doing a chicken checkup and picking up the hens when he attacked.

I've noticed that my hens that were easy to grab and liked being held are now skittish. Does this have to do with their new flock leader?
Yes.:) They're his hens now.

Back
Top Bottom