Pigeon Talk

In my experience hens have stopped feeding the squabs early on (generally only during the 'pigeon milk' stage) and the cocks have pumped until fledging. I always figured it was so her body could recover before laying the next round of eggs.
That makes sense, with most of my pairs the hen still contributes but it would make sense that’s what occurred this time.

Thing is I actually have a cockbird that is really good about feeding random babies, (if you remember a few weeks back I had a cock with babies get sick) and he helped me out, but he wasn’t able to help me with this one this time.

One question: should I limit the squab’s water intake? I made sure the seeds I fed him last night were moistened and let him sip some water out of a spoon. He has been absolutely chugging water this morning. He was very dehydrated yesterday as evidenced by his purple skin but he looks a lot better. I don’t want to give him too much water though…

Maybe a good long drink after each feeding? I'm not sure about this. My roller cocks were all good feeders. I would put all fully fledged squabs on the loft floor, and when I would feed there would be a 'feeding frenzy' with cockbirds feeding any and all squabs. No problem with scalping either. I could not have done this with my homers.

Maybe a good long drink after each feeding? I'm not sure about this. My roller cocks were all good feeders. I would put all fully fledged squabs on the loft floor, and when I would feed there would be a 'feeding frenzy' with cockbirds feeding any and all squabs. No problem with scalping either. I could not have done this with my homers.
I think a good drink after feeding is reasonable. I gave him a big drink this morning because his crop wasn’t totally emptied, which I expected since he was practically starved beforehand.

That sounds like a dream. I have one homer cock that I can trust to feed random squabs but his instincts weren’t kicking in this time.

The rest, cocks and hen homers, are all scalpers…

Picky pigeons WILL NOT eat wet food
They wait by the door anxiously watching as I scoop out the wet food (it stormed yesterday night) and replace it with dry food
6DEBE175-78A1-4F8D-A948-906DEE0458DA.jpeg

Lovebird has no such qualms. She is the size of a pigeon, so pigeon food seems right to her. (She was sort of malnourished as a chick, that’s why she is so tiny. The previous owners thought vegan kitchen scraps were sufficient to feed bantam chicks)
4A79C6D7-F5B6-40EC-A1E7-2CB69DA18D5C.jpeg

The guineas are also frequent visitors to the pigeons’ “leavings”

Back
Top Bottom