Pictures of chicken butts - is this hen pecking? or something else? what do I do? backs are bare

FarmerLisa63

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2022
IMG_20240416_205056705.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_205100742.jpg
    IMG_20240416_205100742.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240416_205105781.jpg
    IMG_20240416_205105781.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 11
I am writing on my own thread because I can't seem to figure out how to do this correctly. The purple you see in images is BluKote in an effort to deter pecking (if that's the case). Many are bare backed. Some are missing feathers on front chest now too, under wings... even my rooster has a bright red, naked a**!! are they bored? is it mites (I don't think so). Still egg laying. All waddles but one look normal. Eating and pooping like regular. What do I do??

A couple of questions:
How old are the birds?
Number of birds?
Area of the coop and run?
Have you checked for parasites?

Pictures of set up can really help.

Look up pin less peepers. They often work well in small set ups.
They are all a year old. 19 birds. 1 rooster and 18 hens. Stand by. From all my more expert chicken owners, they think my set up is adequate. Will take pictures and upload when it's light again tomorrow.

Will definitely take a look for that and post update. Thanks!
I am writing on my own thread because I can't seem to figure out how to do this correctly. The purple you see in images is BluKote in an effort to deter pecking (if that's the case). Many are bare backed. Some are missing feathers on front chest now too, under wings... even my rooster has a bright red, naked a**!! are they bored? is it mites (I don't think so). Still egg laying. All waddles but one look normal. Eating and pooping like regular. What do I do??
My update. All my local "chicken friends" think my chickens are living large! The left run is 7.5x9, coop is 8x9, and right run is 18.5x9. Seems to be PLENTY of room!! I looked up symptoms for lice - they all are behaving fine and have been for the duration. Egg laying is up. Only 1 with a fallen over waddle which is still bright red. PS My goal is to treat naturally whatever it is. Huge proponent of homeopathy! TRYING desperately to add pictures of chicken area if I can figure it out (Not a huge technology wizard)

Start giving them Black Sunflower Seeds. Also during first few weeks you can give them a can of dog food once a week. More often in the beginning and seldom after few weeks.
Make sure the feed (pallets) you are giving to them is at least 16% protein.
If you notice hen who is overly aggressive puling feathers, you may need to put "glasses" on her.

Start giving them Black Sunflower Seeds. Also during first few weeks you can give them a can of dog food once a week. More often in the beginning and seldom after few weeks.
Make sure the feed (pallets) you are giving to them is at least 16% protein.
If you notice hen who is overly aggressive puling feathers, you may need to put "glasses" on her.
What do you suspect is the problem?
Why do you suggest black sunflower seeds?
Dog food? Dry?
I DO give them pellets that are 18% protein.

Back
Top Bottom