Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Do you get to collect their eggs?
No, not at all. I have no idea where their nests are. But I would not want to regardless.

There are many different Guinea Fowl family units and I presume they nest apart from each other. I suspect there might be a nesting spot one street on from our house, in a neighbour's garden, as each year young keets are seen around that house. That particular family unit has one male and about three females.

When the breeding season is over the Guinea Fowl move out of the residential areas and form really large flocks on the surrounding farmlands. It is fun to watch them chase each other.

Last edited:
No, not at all. I have no idea where they are nesting. But I would not want to regardless.

There are many different Guinea Fowl family units and I presume they nest apart from each other. I suspect there might be a nesting spot one street on from our house, in a neighbour's garden, as each year young keets are seen around that house. That particular family unit has one male and about three females.

When the breeding season is over the Guinea Fowl move out of the residential area and form really large folks on the surrounding farmlands. It is fun to watch them chase each other.
It does sound like a lot of fun to watch them!

It does sound like a lot of fun to watch them!
View attachment 3739008

These are some of the indigenous wild Guinea Fowl, living in our residential area, a suburb of the greater Cape Town, South Africa, on one of their regular visits to our home.

View attachment 3739014

Sneaking the family past the cat next door.

View attachment 3739018

"Kids, make sure you look both ways before you cross the street."

View attachment 3739022

A whole new meaning to 'feeding the garden birds'.
I hope this 'link' works. I'm still learning my way around the BackYard Chickens app.

With our great new homepage for BYC, we've also now got an exciting new system and process for our Picture Of The Week (POW), so we need your submissions!!!

Your Submissions MUST:
  • Be an image you took & own the rights to
  • Be a sharp, clean, picture that's at least 800 pixels wide
  • Include a short sentence about your picture, e.g., "My overly friendly Buff Orpington named Alehendra"
  • We prefer "landscape" (sideways) photos, but we'll accept really awesome"portrait"(tall) pictures... we just may need to crop them
Submit your POW by simply replying to this thread and attaching an image :)

We don't have a strict process or time-frame for how/when the POWs are posted, but in general they will be posted to the homepage weekly, and clicking on the POW will bring you to the post within this thread where the image was submitted.
Hand Feeders

Attachments

• L&L4.jpg
    L&L4.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 8
  • L&E3.jpg
    L&E3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • L&E1.jpg
    L&E1.jpg
    901 KB · Views: 7
No, not at all. I have no idea where their nests are. But I would not want to regardless.

When the breeding season is over the Guinea Fowl move out of the residential areas and form really large flocks on the surrounding farmlands. It is fun to watch them chase each other.
That’s very similar to the turkey hens here; once their babies get bigger hens will band together and raise their chicks together. Safety in numbers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom