Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Anybody else getting drenched in the deluge?
DSCN0514.JPG

Anybody else getting drenched in the deluge?
View attachment 3741894
I have a small 2 panel hoop coop with 2 pet hens and a rooster. the two hens were still wet today from the rain a day before. I've got to make some modifications to stop blowing rain on them but still get good ventilation in summer's heat.

@LTAY1946 -- Would a 10x10 or 12x12 pop-up canopy over the hoop help? We buried the legs of our canopies 6 to 8 inches into the soil so they don't blow away from wind or rain. Of course once a year we have to recover the canopies. We have our largest 10x10 canopy positioned over the 4x4 sandbox which keeps the sand dry for dustbathing during light rain or sprinkles. However, in heavy rain we keep the hens in-house all day cuz one Silkie doesn't have the good sense to stay out of the mud and puddles.
DSCN0514.JPG

Sandbox is shaded from the sun in summer and keeps dry in the rain.
DSCN8668.JPG

This Coleman's 10x10 canopy legs have been buried inground for the past 9 years and although we have to replace the cover every year, the frame has withstood the test of time and in the winter keeps the sand dustbox dry and in summer provides shade over the sand.
DSCN7952.JPG

Since planting trees in the chicken yard there's plenty of shade for them all around:
This photo shows the 3 young trees along the back wall.
DSCN0287.JPG

This photo shows how big and shady the trees are now.
DSCN1309.JPG

A molting Dominique hen enjoying the shade and seclusion of a tree:
DSCN1047.JPG

Canopies are not big enough to cover our coops. I have a large vinyl tarp I'm cutting up into pieces that will cover the areas that can let blowing horizontal rain in. It's blowing rain that gets us not the downward falling rain. We had to learn as we went and still learning as we go. Working on drop curtains for rain that can be rolled up for needed ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom