Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

@ChicksnMore -- Yes, yes, yes! So very true! There ARE so many wonderful breeds out there that are just perfect chickens. A perfect breed exists out there for every owner's specific needs!

In childhood I grew up in a farming/agricultural style. Some vintage photos:

c. 1946 Summer
1704740396591.png

My parents started with 5 acres of lemon/lime trees, one horse that pulled a plow and 1/2 a dozen chickens. The horse left after Pop invested in a WWII surplus Caterpiller tractor for pulling the plow. (No, I'm not actually driving the tractor!!!).

c. 1951
No 073 - Sylvia 7 years old on  Vista farm Caterpillar tractor bought by Norman maybe from WWI...jpg

What soon followed were groves planted w/ common as well as exotic tropical fruit trees, avocado trees, vegetable gardens, added pens of ducks, geese, cows, sheep, goats, many barnyard cats, and a few dogs, etc. The antique stable on the property was an old stagecoach depot and the building actually had a faded vintage stagecoach and an old buckboard stored in one of the stalls. There was a very large vintage steamer trunk I discovered containing someones personal letters, paperwork, handheld eye viewer for old photos, and a complete set of medical encyclopedia volumes printed in 1912. City kids really are missing the fun of living in rural communities.

c. 1950's - stagecoach stable to the right of dog and goose
1704741860076.png

1704741952513.png

It's so nice that in some city suburbs today they have community ordinances allowing homeowners to have at least a few backyard hens. I'm too old :old to live a farm style now with all its hard work but I can still enjoy a little livestock bliss in our backyard w/ a small flock of hens :) . They forage for insects, provide fertilizer for the raised garden beds, lay breakfast for us, and don't bark all night long like the neighborhood dogs do. These girls once in torpor sleep in the coop can sleep through any loud low-flying aircraft, police sirens, 4th of July skyrockets, and booming firecrackers during neighborhood holiday celebrations. No one can complain that hens disturb nighttime sleeping neighbors!
FOUR CHICS  DANA VIOLET SUZU GINNY  11-13-2021.jpg

And chickens are just as sweet and cuddly as dogs or cats. "Amber" the Silkie chick nudged her way under my fingers when I was at the keyboard. She insisted on not being ignored!
DSCN8391.JPG

@ChicksnMore -- Yes, yes, yes! So very true! There ARE so many wonderful breeds out there that are just perfect chickens. A perfect breed exists out there for every owner's specific needs!

c. 1946 Summer
View attachment 3721903
My parents started with 5 acres of lemon/lime trees, one horse that pulled a plow and 1/2 a dozen chickens. The horse left after Pop invested in a WWII surplus Caterpiller tractor for pulling the plow. (No, I'm not actually driving the tractor!!!).

c. 1951
View attachment 3721921

What soon followed were groves planted w/ common as well as exotic tropical fruit trees, avocado trees, vegetable gardens, added pens of ducks, geese, cows, sheep, goats, many barnyard cats, and a few dogs, etc. The antique stable on the property was an old stagecoach depot and the building actually had a faded vintage stagecoach and an old buckboard stored in one of the stalls. There was a very large vintage steamer trunk I discovered containing someones personal letters, paperwork, handheld eye viewer for old photos, and a complete set of medical encyclopedia volumes printed in 1912. City kids really are missing the fun of living in rural communities.

View attachment 3721922
View attachment 3721923

It's so nice that in some city suburbs today they have community ordinances allowing homeowners to have at least a few backyard hens. I'm too old :old to live a farm style now with all its hard work but I can still enjoy a little livestock bliss in our backyard w/ a small flock of hens :) . They forage for insects, provide fertilizer for the raised garden beds, lay breakfast for us, and don't bark all night long like the neighborhood dogs do. These girls once in torpor sleep in the coop can sleep through any loud low-flying aircraft, police sirens, 4th of July skyrockets, and booming firecrackers during neighborhood holiday celebrations. No one can complain that hens disturb nighttime sleeping neighbors!
View attachment 3721924

And chickens are just as sweet and cuddly as dogs or cats. "Amber" the Silkie chick nudged her way under my fingers when I was at the keyboard. She insisted on not being ignored!
View attachment 3721944

Love the old photos!

c. 1946 Summer
View attachment 3721903

c. 1951
View attachment 3721921

View attachment 3721922
View attachment 3721923

View attachment 3721924

View attachment 3721944
Love these old photos!! 💕

c. 1946 Summer
View attachment 3721903

c. 1951
View attachment 3721921

View attachment 3721922
View attachment 3721923

View attachment 3721924

View attachment 3721944
That was wonderful thanks for sharing 😊💕

Back
Top Bottom