Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

I got to get in coop and find out what's going. I have two Olive Eggers and two black copper marans that seem to be Bulling the rest of the flock Which is unusual for the Marans too. :(
Strange -- my one Marans was such a bully had to re-home her to a backyard egg-seller where she squared off with other Marans & Leghorns and couldn't bully.

Strange -- my one Marans was such a bully had to re-home her to a backyard egg-seller where she squared off with other Marans & Leghorns and couldn't bully.
Crazy right ? So after my two EE and black and white dominicker spent the night in the bully house, I put Valerie back in the coop and yard and I'll be darn if the other dominicker didn't go over an attacker her. Had to start all over. Poor Valerie she's missing feathers off her back but I sprayed her with the purple stuff and that seemed to help keep them at Bay

Crazy right ? So after my two EE and black and white dominicker spent the night in the bully house, I put Valerie back in the coop and yard and I'll be darn if the other dominicker didn't go over an attacker her. Had to start all over. Poor Valerie she's missing feathers off her back but I sprayed her with the purple stuff and that seemed to help keep them at Bay
Everyone's flock dynamics are different. For myself we are limited to 5 hens/no roos so if there's a bully in the bunch she's outta here!

I'm pretty old now after a dozen years of backyarding and I'm slowly shifting to all-one breed -- Bearded 2-lb Sikies (no Frizzles, no Showgirls, no Satins) just the plain ol' regular Silkies. Their eggs are the same size as our 5-lb Dominique - small-med.

I love the personality of my Doms but in old age I'm shifting to the smaller Silkies -- easier to pickup and hold, sweet dispositions, even a potential Silkie bully in the bunch can't do harm cuz Silkies are skittish and move fast out of harm's way. They are calm to hold, easier to tame, and most are easy to break out of broodiness. I've had only one determined broody out of 5 but she just took an extra few days to lock out of the nestbox.

I have two more DNA-sexed Silkie chicks on order. Here are our current 3-yr-old Silkies and our 6-yr old Dominique. Hard to get a picture of all 3 of them in one area -- they are constantly moving!

DSCN1376.JPG

DSCN1535.JPG

DSCN1533.JPG

DSCN1487.JPG

These two gals are five and a half years old and were attacked by a dog three weeks ago. They have been inside my house while tending to some awful wounds! Today was their first day back out with the flock of six that were left out of 23😢
They are happy to be back out and made sure everyone knew that they are still and forever will be the boss ladies!!❤️❤️❤️
IMG_0160.jpeg

These two gals are five and a half years old and were attacked by a dog three weeks ago. They have been inside my house while tending to some awful wounds! Today was their first day back out with the flock of six that were left out of 23😢
They are happy to be back out and made sure everyone knew that they are still and forever will be the boss ladies!!❤️❤️❤️View attachment 3656530
I am sorry for your losses. Good luck to you and your survivors!

They are happy to be back out and made sure everyone knew that they are still and forever will be the boss ladies!!❤️❤️❤️View attachment 3656530

It's wonderful these 2 fine ladies are so much better. Very sorry for your losses, that's always hard. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom