Pheasant Incubation..Day 24 question

JScatt69

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Hello!
I am on day 24 of my ringneck incubation and have a few questions.
I've had 5 chicks hatch between the 23rd and today the 24th day. One died after pipping, one hatched with shell stuck to its butt, finally had to pull it off.
I have 103 eggs left in the bator and only see 1 that has pipped.
Is it normal to have only a couple hatch in a day especially with that many eggs set?
How much more time till I give up?
Temp is between 98-99 humidity around 70%. Temps and humidity were steady and correct prior to lockdown.

Thanks!

J

Are you hatching standing up or laid down??

It's normal to have a few hatch then a break in the action for the big boom of hatching that follows.
If they were my eggs I'd leave them until day 26+ before I pulled the plug!

Just had my first hatch and the last chick hatched on day 28. Don't give up on them until you are sure that the rest of the eggs are dead. Hatching pheasant eggs I found is not a scientific case. The chicks hatch when they are ready. I have yet to understand why some hatch early or late, why some pip and then die, or why they grow to day 21 and die in the shell. I believe that this is just the nature of thier incubation. My hens won't tell me the secret either. I just take what I get and be happy with that. My best hatch is about 65% which is considered very good. 50% is considered average for incubating pheasant eggs.

My hatch rate runs from 70% and up on pheasants unless it's shipped eggs then 50% is decent. I use a sportsman from GQF with a multi turn electronic thermostat. It sets in the Bedroom that's climate controlled with central heat and air. I set mine dead on 100 degrees, keep water in it and wait for fuzzy butts.

I hatch all my eggs standing up, most of the time, they never leave the turning trays. I just cover the tray with a wire cover I made to keep the chicks from jumping out and hitting the bottom. I have a problem of forgetting to turn the turner back on..
roll.png

The first ringneck eggs I hatched hatched over five days starting on day 24. A few the first day more the second most on the third and then tapered off the next two days.
big_smile.png
:

Just had my first hatch and the last chick hatched on day 28. Don't give up on them until you are sure that the rest of the eggs are dead. Hatching pheasant eggs I found is not a scientific case. The chicks hatch when they are ready. I have yet to understand why some hatch early or late, why some pip and then die, or why they grow to day 21 and die in the shell. I believe that this is just the nature of thier incubation. My hens won't tell me the secret either. I just take what I get and be happy with that. My best hatch is about 65% which is considered very good. 50% is considered average for incubating pheasant eggs.
Thanks!! You give me hope. Ive had 1 out of 8 eggs hatch in the last 24hrs. There is 1 (maybe 2) real pips.These are wild pheasant eggs. Ive wanted to jump the gun on everything... taking everything, candling and incubation into consideration. Im on day 24/25. I dont know how much more I can
take.

Back
Top Bottom