Pheasant chat and hatch-a-long!!!

Pics
Even a 20 x 20 enclosure is too small for that number of birds. The 8 x 12 pens are big enough for a pair and maybe a trio but no more than that....come spring the cock birds will start displaying and wanting to mate with the hens, if you have 3 or 4 cock birds in that enclosure (20 x 20), you will wind up with only one and possibly none, it will be a total blood bath.
Ring necked pheasants, in general, are very territorial and aggressive.
Not trying to discourage you from raising pheasants but you need the proper habitat/space for that many birds. I would consider reducing the number of birds you want to raise and concentrate on quality and not quanity.
Even with the blinders? Will they kill each other ? And I plan on reducing my cock birds for sure , there a few buff and cinimons I want to single out so they don’t die, and put them in pairs or trios, but have them be the only cock birds in those pens, I was hoping to do 16 hens and 2 cocks in the 8x12, but aparently I need to rethink that strategy, dumb question, but I’m curious, what size pens does a normal breeder use, and how many birds

Even with the blinders? Will they kill each other ? And I plan on reducing my cock birds for sure , there a few buff and cinimons I want to single out so they don’t die, and put them in pairs or trios, but have them be the only cock birds in those pens, I was hoping to do 16 hens and 2 cocks in the 8x12, but aparently I need to rethink that strategy, dumb question, but I’m curious, what size pens does a normal breeder use, and how many birds
It depends, some use small breeding pens and some use huge pens.
My pens are smallest being 320sq.ft. to the largest 5,000sq.ft. The majority of the pens are 320sq.ft. I have 5 enclosures that are 20 x 24 and 4 pens per enclosure. And another 5 enclosures that are 30 x 40 and that have 8 pens per enclosure. 1 enclosure that's 2,500 sq.ft. and 1 enclosure that's 5,000sq.ft.
pheasants_005.jpg
pheasants_006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom