Pet Peeves

Damn near it. In technology world, 5 years is 10 years.
Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

Most large IT companies have a 2-3 year amortization on tech (the time they consider it to be a cost / pay it off). So basically every 2-3 years they're refreshing things like desktops and laptops and the like. Mobile devices is usually about a year. People hired last year got last year models, people hired this year get this year models, etc...

Bigger iron (say datacenter equipment like servers and networking gear) is 3-5 years on average depending on the industry and the budget. Big ISP and Datacenter companies always want the hottest and fastest to sell to clients, but places like colleges may be even longer (10 years in some cases).

INTERNAL server equipment (stuff for in-house operations) always lags behind. 5 years is common, and again, 10 or more may be seen. I worked for a large bank in y2k and we were patching 15 year old Sun hardware for y2k that hadn't even been rebooted in more than 8 years. That's what makes your behind clench, when you know the disks may fail from the reboot, there are no backups, and the machine in question is mission critical and responsible for millions in revenue transactions daily. YOLO city.
...It survived and we finally got it replaced (with 5 year old equipment) a few months later.

My opinion? I hate how people say apple plans obsolescence. They do not. If anything, it’s android who does that. There are literally android phones, from reputable companies, that only get 1-2 years of software support, and then they’re gone. Apple is still the leading brand in terms of years of software support. Just recently Samsung has upped their support to like 4 years, but apple’s at least 5 is still better. They also have pretty much one if the best, if not the best customer support. And any phone will eventually become obsolete, cause the tech gets old.

:lau

Secure?View attachment 3418751

I’m not trying to argue… just trying to get my point across.

100% agreed.

It won’t be wasting money. It’s an investment of a sort. Apple products will always retain their value for way longer than any android.
Ok, you are starting to really annoy me. I don't really care about your point, just as you don't care about mine. I hate Apple, enough said

Back
Top Bottom