Pet Peeves

How about when someone tells you what you want or don't want, or what you like or don't like?

What kind of car would you like?
A VW Beetle!
No, you don't want one of those.
Yes I do, I've always wanted one!
No, you don't want one of those. You should get a Ford Pinto instead.
But I don't want a Pinto, I want a Beetle.
No you don't.

Please don't .... whatever.
You know you like it.
Ugh.
We were visiting some people in our county, and I wanted to get going and I rubbed my husband's arm, he knew that meant, let's go. The WIFE of the guy we were visiting decided that meant I wanted attention, and told my husband that is what I was communicating. WELL not exactly, lady.

When you're sore/in pain and someone tells you "you're young, you can handle it" or "suck it up".
Yep. Mom’s general responses to my complaints of pain or tiredness after age 8 was. “ Welcome to my life” or “Join the club”.
My pet peeve is when I am busy doing chores, and DH assumes without asking that I am doing nothing and decides what I should be doing with my time.
Ah another complaint about parents. I’m doing one chore. They demand I start doing a different one, attempting to explain I’m doing the dishes is labeled “backtalk” and met with threats of grounding. So I go and do whatever chore #2 is. About halfway through this chore I will here yelling from the kitchen asking why I haven’t finished the dishes and quickly followed by being informed I’m grounded for not finishing the dishes.

I love my parents but they drive me batty and I can’t wait until I have enough saved up to finally move out.

Hmm, parents! When given a second (interrupting) chore, have you ever tried responding, "Okay! Er, do you want me to finish the dishes first, or go do (interrupting chore) right away?" It's that very agreeable "Okay!" that keeps your response from being "backtalk." And asking what you should do keeps you out of trouble, because it puts the responsibility on them for keeping you organized and getting everything done. Might be worth a shot anyway.

Hmm, parents! When given a second (interrupting) chore, have you ever tried responding, "Okay! Er, do you want me to finish the dishes first, or go do (interrupting chore) right away?" It's that very agreeable "Okay!" that keeps your response from being "backtalk." And asking what you should do keeps you out of trouble, because it puts the responsibility on them for keeping you organized and getting everything done. Might be worth a shot anyway.
Admittedly this has gotten better over the past few years since Ive become an adult. When I was younger though anything that was the words yes ma’am or yes sir we’re generally considered unacceptable. Tacking a question on to the end wasn’t tolerated most of the time. Didn’t matter what it was. Part of the problem was also mom’s very poor memory. She wouldn’t remember giving me the instruction in the first place. Which sucked because it wasn’t really her fault but it wasn’t fair either.

From the internet:

The word “ask” comes from the Proto-Germanic word “aiskōan,” which evolved into the Old English word “ascian.” From what we can tell, these words were probably pronounced with an S-K sound.

The oldest printed citations indicate 'ask' was pronounced like 'aks' or 'axe.'

However, the earliest references to these words that we can find in print reveal something different: a K-S sound. For example, the earliest citation for this word in the Oxford English Dictionary is spelled A-C-S-O-D-E. The second is spelled A-X-O-D-E. Both indicate the “ks” pronunciation.

Based on these citations (and many others), it seems that during the time when Old English was spoken—from about 500 to 1100 AD—the “aks” pronunciation ruled the land. The “ask” version still appeared, but not nearly as much. And the use of “aks” continued steadily through the periods when Middle English and Early Modern English were spoken—that is, all the way up through the 1500s.

In fact, we find it in Geoffrey Chaucer’s “Canterbury Tales” and in William Tyndale’s translation of the bible into Early Modern English. Both of these landmark documents use the spelling “axe”—A-X-E.

Back
Top Bottom