Pet Peeves

Do you snorers snore on inhale or exhale? I sometimes wake myself up, snoring on exhale. My DH is not at all aware of this as he falls deeply asleep long before I do, so no idea if I stop breathing.
With me it's more inhale. But they're related. Snoring is usually caused by either congestion (like with a cold), or by your airway getting restricted (such as with obstructive sleep apnea). Obviously with a cold, it'll pass and is short term. When it's chronic, it's time to see the Doc.

With apnea, the snoring is usually precursor to the breathing stoppage, because in both cases it's caused by the muscles around your airway relaxing and causing your airway to partially or fully collapse. Partial= snoring, full= stop breathing. This is actually normal in almost all people, to a degree. It's measured by what's called the AHI, Apnea-Hypopnea Index. >5 events (10 sec or longer breathing stoppage is an event) per hour is "normal". 5-15 is "mild apnea" and the scores go up from there. Basically every time you have an apnea event (stop breathing), you're depriving your body of oxygen while you have the event. The more often that happens per hour, the worse the effects become to the point where you become hypoxic and can start doing long term damage to your bod. This impacts quality of sleep, can cause high BP, weight gain, mental fog, general fatigue, heart problems, and the list goes on.

If you even think you might be having apena related sleeping issues, it's worth the copay for a doc check. Seriously. Particularly if you have other health problems like being overweight, diabetes, heart issues, mental health concerns, or have high levels of stress. I'm just a random dude on the internet, but I can say that it has and is making a difference in my life and health every night.

With me it's more inhale. But they're related. Snoring is usually caused by either congestion (like with a cold), or by your airway getting restricted (such as with obstructive sleep apnea). Obviously with a cold, it'll pass and is short term. When it's chronic, it's time to see the Doc.

With apnea, the snoring is usually precursor to the breathing stoppage, because in both cases it's caused by the muscles around your airway relaxing and causing your airway to partially or fully collapse. Partial= snoring, full= stop breathing. This is actually normal in almost all people, to a degree. It's measured by what's called the AHI, Apnea-Hypopnea Index. >5 events (10 sec or longer breathing stoppage is an event) per hour is "normal". 5-15 is "mild apnea" and the scores go up from there. Basically every time you have an apnea event (stop breathing), you're depriving your body of oxygen while you have the event. The more often that happens per hour, the worse the effects become to the point where you become hypoxic and can start doing long term damage to your bod. This impacts quality of sleep, can cause high BP, weight gain, mental fog, general fatigue, heart problems, and the list goes on.

If you even think you might be having apena related sleeping issues, it's worth the copay for a doc check. Seriously. Particularly if you have other health problems like being overweight, diabetes, heart issues, mental health concerns, or have high levels of stress. I'm just a random dude on the internet, but I can say that it has and is making a difference in my life and health every night.
Yeah, I should probably get checked. 🙄

She do the "stop breathing for a few seconds and snore" thing? I had to have a surgical procedure to pulverize a kidney stone, and the post-op nurse told my wife while I was in recovery I kept stopping breathing. Said it was classic apnea and took the time to call my GP and recommend I do a sleep study. Had she not gone out of her way to do that, we might never have known how much it was screwing with my health.
Yes she would snore and about every 6th or so it would be really loud and stop breathing for about 5 seconds then exhale

Only for the hard core

41BiQBgTuvL._AC_SY580_.jpg

It goes beyond getting quality sleep. My sister had a seizure one time when she was sleeping. Scared the crap out of my brither in law but he used to work for 911 so he knew what to do. I guess her seizure was because of her sleep apnea she didn't know she had. She went to a sleep clinic thing and they said her score was in the 60's! She now sleeps with a cpap and takes seizure meds

Back
Top Bottom