Pet Peeves

I've had IBS since I was about 12 years old. 40ish years later and I still don't listen to my body as well as I should. Red meat tends to be a trigger for me, but I think triggers can be very individual.
It is hard not to eat what you like. It is hard not to eat what you like as long as it does not make more sick than you can handle.

I have a 1400sq ft bungalow. November to March temperatures are below freezing with lots of snow. Had several days in a row in January when temperatures were -35C/-31F with wind chill. So I burn through 10-12 cords but my propone furnace only ever comes on if I am away.
This reminds me of my two years in Calgary. Lived in Berlin prior and everyone said I was crazy to move to Canada because of the cold. My naive reply was "whatever, cold is cold, what's the big deal?". Then, I moved there and nearly immediately began inventing terms to try to describe the level of cold I'd subjected myself to: eyeball freezing cold, nose hair freezing cold, 5 pairs of pants cold....

This reminds me of my two years in Calgary. Lived in Berlin prior and everyone said I was crazy to move to Canada because of the cold. My naive reply was "whatever, cold is cold, what's the big deal?". Then, I moved there and nearly immediately began inventing terms to try to describe the level of cold I'd subjected myself to: eyeball freezing cold, nose hair freezing cold, 5 pairs of pants cold....
40°F in NM is not cold. It's practically T-shirt weather. 40°F here in MO is mizzerble, joint-wrenching, tear-jerking, bundle up in a blanket by the fireplace cold. But I'm older now than I was then ...

Flip your hair when it’s wet and it freezes sticking straight up cold..

20220224_170713.jpg

Ice-clad mulberry tree in my front yard, and the cedars behind it heavy-laden with ice.

We'll save this for the next grammar debate. :lau

Notes for copy editors
A dangling participle walks into a bar. Enjoying a cocktail and chatting with the bartender, the evening passes pleasantly.
A bar was walked into by the passive voice.
An oxymoron walked into a bar, and the silence was deafening.
Two quotation marks walk into a “bar.”
A malapropism walks into a bar, looking for all intensive purposes like a wolf in cheap clothing, muttering epitaphs and casting dispersions on his magnificent other, who takes him for granite.
Hyperbole totally rips into this insane bar and absolutely destroys everything.
A question mark walks into a bar?
A non sequitur walks into a bar. In a strong wind, even turkeys can fly.
Papyrus and Comic Sans walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out -- we don't serve your type."
A mixed metaphor walks into a bar, seeing the handwriting on the wall but hoping to nip it in the bud.
A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.
Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They converse. They depart.
A synonym strolls into a tavern.
At the end of the day, a cliché walks into a bar -- fresh as a daisy, cute as a button, and sharp as a tack.
A run-on sentence walks into a bar it starts flirting. With a cute little sentence fragment.
Falling slowly, softly falling, the chiasmus collapses to the bar floor.
A figure of speech literally walks into a bar and ends up getting figuratively hammered.
An allusion walks into a bar, despite the fact that alcohol is its Achilles heel.
The subjunctive would have walked into a bar, had it only known.
A misplaced modifier walks into a bar owned a man with a glass eye named Ralph.
The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
A dyslexic walks into a bra.
A verb walks into a bar, sees a beautiful noun, and suggests they conjugate. The noun declines.
An Oxford comma walks into a bar, where it spends the evening watching the television getting drunk and smoking cigars.
A simile walks into a bar, as parched as a desert.
A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, drinking to forget.
A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.​

Notes for copy editors

A dangling participle walks into a bar. Enjoying a cocktail and chatting with the bartender, the evening passes pleasantly.​

A bar was walked into by the passive voice.​

An oxymoron walked into a bar, and the silence was deafening.​

Two quotation marks walk into a “bar.”​

A malapropism walks into a bar, looking for all intensive purposes like a wolf in cheap clothing, muttering epitaphs and casting dispersions on his magnificent other, who takes him for granite.​

Hyperbole totally rips into this insane bar and absolutely destroys everything.​

A question mark walks into a bar?​

A non sequitur walks into a bar. In a strong wind, even turkeys can fly.​

Papyrus and Comic Sans walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out -- we don't serve your type."​

A mixed metaphor walks into a bar, seeing the handwriting on the wall but hoping to nip it in the bud.​

A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.​

Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They converse. They depart.​

A synonym strolls into a tavern.​

At the end of the day, a cliché walks into a bar -- fresh as a daisy, cute as a button, and sharp as a tack.​

A run-on sentence walks into a bar it starts flirting. With a cute little sentence fragment.​

Falling slowly, softly falling, the chiasmus collapses to the bar floor.​

A figure of speech literally walks into a bar and ends up getting figuratively hammered.​

An allusion walks into a bar, despite the fact that alcohol is its Achilles heel.​

The subjunctive would have walked into a bar, had it only known.​

A misplaced modifier walks into a bar owned a man with a glass eye named Ralph.​

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.​

A dyslexic walks into a bra.​

A verb walks into a bar, sees a beautiful noun, and suggests they conjugate. The noun declines.​

An Oxford comma walks into a bar, where it spends the evening watching the television getting drunk and smoking cigars.​

A simile walks into a bar, as parched as a desert.​

A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, drinking to forget.​

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.​

I read 2 lines and quit🤣

Notes for copy editors

A dangling participle walks into a bar. Enjoying a cocktail and chatting with the bartender, the evening passes pleasantly.​

A bar was walked into by the passive voice.​

An oxymoron walked into a bar, and the silence was deafening.​

Two quotation marks walk into a “bar.”​

A malapropism walks into a bar, looking for all intensive purposes like a wolf in cheap clothing, muttering epitaphs and casting dispersions on his magnificent other, who takes him for granite.​

Hyperbole totally rips into this insane bar and absolutely destroys everything.​

A question mark walks into a bar?​

A non sequitur walks into a bar. In a strong wind, even turkeys can fly.​

Papyrus and Comic Sans walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out -- we don't serve your type."​

A mixed metaphor walks into a bar, seeing the handwriting on the wall but hoping to nip it in the bud.​

A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.​

Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They converse. They depart.​

A synonym strolls into a tavern.​

At the end of the day, a cliché walks into a bar -- fresh as a daisy, cute as a button, and sharp as a tack.​

A run-on sentence walks into a bar it starts flirting. With a cute little sentence fragment.​

Falling slowly, softly falling, the chiasmus collapses to the bar floor.​

A figure of speech literally walks into a bar and ends up getting figuratively hammered.​

An allusion walks into a bar, despite the fact that alcohol is its Achilles heel.​

The subjunctive would have walked into a bar, had it only known.​

A misplaced modifier walks into a bar owned a man with a glass eye named Ralph.​

The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.​

A dyslexic walks into a bra.​

A verb walks into a bar, sees a beautiful noun, and suggests they conjugate. The noun declines.​

An Oxford comma walks into a bar, where it spends the evening watching the television getting drunk and smoking cigars.​

A simile walks into a bar, as parched as a desert.​

A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, drinking to forget.​

Monk ?

40°F in NM is not cold. It's practically T-shirt weather. 40°F here in MO is mizzerble, joint-wrenching, tear-jerking, bundle up in a blanket by the fireplace cold. But I'm older now than I was then ...
Yep, you get used to the weather where you are. After a year in Calgary, when a Chinook would blow over from the west, it would get up to a balmy -5F and everyone would be out (and about...sorry couldn't resist) in short sleeves and no hats enjoying the "warm" weather. I'd be right there with them because it was so nice compared to the -25F we had an hour or two earlier.

Back
Top Bottom