People who turned vegan, what is it like?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
I’ve been a meat eater my whole life, it’s apart of my diet. But, I’m interested. A lot of people have turned vegan, which makes me wonder what exactly is it like? is it better? or is it worse? Why did you change?
I don’t plan nor want To change, I’m just curious

I’ve been a meat eater my whole life, it’s apart of my diet. But, I’m interested. A lot of people have turned vegan, which makes me wonder what exactly is it like? is it better? or is it worse? Why did you change?
I have a sister who is but don't understand it, so when I read this, I was curious if BYC had a thread or forum for it. Well, I found this long one here that might shed some light to the both of us!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/vegans-of-byc.1514323/

Not vegan and not gonna be. However, let me share.... 😏

Last month we were hosting a 30th birthday party for my stepson at our house. I'd recently found out his girlfriend is gluten & nut allergic but I can work around that when doing bbq. TWO days before the party I find out vegans are attending also. Not only did I have to revamp the entire menu, I read soooo many labels and fine print making sure everything was vegan and/or gluten free I thought my poor brain would have a meltdown 🤣 Here are the results of fending off the meltdown....

The Cook's Prayer
I can cook for two or twenty
Picky finicky is no problem
Simple allergies or dislikes
can be easily avoided
Home style cooking with all
The goodness life intended
But please dear Lord, save me
From gluten free and vegan!

Truly no offense meant to those with severe diet allergies, it was just a lot to adjust for in two days. Next party is for her birthday two months away, I can work with that 😁. Now does anyone have a good recipe for a gluten free vegan cake? 🤔

Last month we were hosting a 30th birthday party for my stepson at our house. I'd recently found out his girlfriend is gluten & nut allergic but I can work around that when doing bbq. TWO days before the party I find out vegans are attending also. Not only did I have to revamp the entire menu, I read soooo many labels and fine print making sure everything was vegan and/or gluten free I thought my poor brain would have a meltdown 🤣 Here are the results of fending off the meltdown....

The Cook's Prayer
can be easily avoided

Truly no offense meant to those with severe diet allergies, it was just a lot to adjust for in two days. Next party is for her birthday two months away, I can work with that 😁. Now does anyone have a good recipe for a gluten free vegan cake? 🤔
Awh man, that sucks!
you could do a optionally bbq (like do it and have meat for those who eat meat on a plate or somethin) that’s what I see my family do! (None of us are vegan, but we always have options)
I wish you luck and thank you for your answer

The Cook's Prayer
can be easily avoided

I Googled gluten free vegan cake and found several that look quite good. So you’ve got options.

Awh man, that sucks!
you could do a optionally bbq (like do it and have meat for those who eat meat on a plate or somethin) that’s what I see my family do! (None of us are vegan, but we always have options)
I wish you luck and thank you for your answer
It worked out and no one left hungry, meat eaters and vegans both satisfied. Or at least no one dared to complain 🤣
I Googled gluten free vegan cake and found several that look quite good. So you’ve got options.
Yeah, was hoping to avoid the internet rabbit hole 😳 especially when it comes to recipes. LoL, I have time this time for research though!

It worked out and no one left hungry, meat eaters and vegans both satisfied. Or at least no one dared to complain 🤣

Yeah, was hoping to avoid the internet rabbit hole 😳 especially when it comes to recipes. LoL, I have time this time for research though!
That’s understandable! I wish I knew a good recipe but I don’t unfortunately

Wow I'm late to this thread, but I'll give my story,
I started cutting out certain meats a few years ago, and went vegan maybe 3 years ago now. I went vegan for environmental reasons, as well as for love of animals- personal preference and welfare concerns.
The diet is more sustainable for the most part, and causes less deaths of animals, though no diet is perfect or conpletely cruelty free. (Eg. Crop deaths) I like making a tiny positive difference, however I can, so it was a good choice for me.

I've actually fallen more in love with food over the past three years, I got into trying new things and I'd say I'm probably making healthier food choices now, which feels good.

I did break my veganism last year, when I actually had a big meal of lamb/mutton. And while I'm not exactly proud of it, it wasn't something I can regret as it was a tough period of time for me and I didn't have much to eat, I was probably dealing with health deficiencies at that time from not eating proper meals and that one meal kept me going.
Dropped meat right after, instantly, and haven't gone back since. I'm able to do proper meals again and don't need to rely on meat like that

I'm technically not a vegan, but a "veggan", as I eat the eggs of my own flock sometimes. I will also occasionally use honey, when unwell, but this is something I'm still debating and researching.

Sorry for the ramble :oops:

Back
Top Bottom