Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I take it you are not at the point of processing? I understand. It took me a long time. You can get a butcher to do it for you.

I do have a family friend that sends hers out for processing. Is it weird that I'm just turned off by the color of the meat? :/ Also, I have two somewhat close neighbors who I don't think will appreciate the morning crowing as I do, so I'd rather try to give them new homes to chicken-friendly folks first (although I know they may just end up as dinner).

Nope. You are not weird. I have to tell you something. Most of us here are relieved that you are able to come to grips with the future. Give or sell your cockerels, but don't ask if they will be pets or food. It means less stress for both parties.
hugs.gif

Nope. You are not weird. I have to tell you something. Most of us here are relieved that you are able to come to grips with the future. Give or sell your cockerels, but don't ask if they will be pets or food. It means less stress for both parties. :hugs

Thanks @MotorcycleChick I tend to get quickly attached to animals, but have been trying to keep myself open and prepared for possibilities and reality. It helps to have a S.O. who has more life experience in this department, as well as this forum with knowledgeable people such as yourself to help! :hugs

Hey all, I'm really behind in life in general, and this forum specifically, but I have a problem and I really am hoping for some help...

Last night, two of my geese and six of my ducks did not come inside. I was away most of the day yesterday. I assumed that they were outside somewhere (which would be a first, since they usually put themselves to bed). Today there is no sign of them. No feathers, no high-strung chickens, etc. Given that the one goose is a sebastopol and the ducks are all fancy breeds, I can't help thinking that someone may have taken them. If it was a predator, I would have expected my durpy polish and silkies to have been picked off, not the biggest birds in the yard.

Yes, they free-range. I they are relatively safe and have lots of cover, and they get locked in at night. I've been emotionally prepared for losses, although so far I've only lost birds to disease, and even those were only young chicks. I don't think this was a predator, though, and I doubt that the birds would just wander off, given that they are a tight-knit flock, half of which are still here.

I spoke to a police officer, but he seemed kind of confused (like, why would anyone steal birds???) and I've looked in the nearby fields to see if there are any clues that would indicate predators. Nada. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going crazy here.

Hey all, I'm really behind in life in general, and this forum specifically, but I have a problem and I really am hoping for some help...

Last night, two of my geese and six of my ducks did not come inside. I was away most of the day yesterday. I assumed that they were outside somewhere (which would be a first, since they usually put themselves to bed). Today there is no sign of them. No feathers, no high-strung chickens, etc. Given that the one goose is a sebastopol and the ducks are all fancy breeds, I can't help thinking that someone may have taken them. If it was a predator, I would have expected my durpy polish and silkies to have been picked off, not the biggest birds in the yard.

Yes, they free-range. I they are relatively safe and have lots of cover, and they get locked in at night. I've been emotionally prepared for losses, although so far I've only lost birds to disease, and even those were only young chicks. I don't think this was a predator, though, and I doubt that the birds would just wander off, given that they are a tight-knit flock, half of which are still here.

I spoke to a police officer, but he seemed kind of confused (like, why would anyone steal birds???) and I've looked in the nearby fields to see if there are any clues that would indicate predators. Nada. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going crazy here.
I agree that it is possible. and the most likely thing at this point. But... If someone got a new pool/pond, they may have discovered it. Keep your hopes up. At least it doesn't look like they had a tragic end.
hugs.gif

Just hatched out of the incubator. Olive Eggers and Cuckoo Marans. Asking $2 a chick straight run. We didn't plan on these guys, our maran hen went broody when we went away for a weekend, we didn't have anyone to collect the eggs those few days, and she began sitting on about 24 eggs and then quit about a week into it and that's how they ended up in the incubator so they didn't go to waste. From Butler County and I researched Olive Eggers, meyer hatchery wanted $6-$10 a hatched chick! We are just trying to get a little bit of money out of incubating and brooding them.

Hi,
I have 3 chicken coops I am readying for sale in Ligonier, PA 15658. I have never had a sickness or a dead bird in my flocks. The coops have been cleaned. 2 come with a yard attached, one doesn't. I will post pics in the coming days. All the coops were made by my woodworker husband, Bob. I figured 4 sq. ft. per adult large fowl inside all my coops. 10 sq. ft. per adult large fowl in the outside yards. 1/2 all measurements for bantams. One can get along with 3 sq. ft. per large fowl, if needed. There are no roosts in these coops as my Light Sussex bedded on the pine shavings as night. All windows in all coops have hardware cloth in addition to glass to keep out varmints. None of the windows open except the cupola window in coop#2 because all my runs were fully enclosed so i used the pop door for additional ventilation as other windows faced the prevailing wind and rain in our valley and I didn't want the inside of the coops to get wet. The floors of all the coops are dry as I always floored my coops with:
1. a thin layer of food grade DE.
2. a thin layer of sweet PDZ.
3. 3-4 inches of the white bale kiln dried hardwood shavings from Tractor Supply.

1. 4w x 6l x4h= 24 sq. ft. raised coop w/o yard. Wired for electricity , comes with light. One generous nestbox attached to outside wall with liftable lid to collect eggs. . Nice window. Pop door with vertical sliding closure. Coop painted red, with asphalt single roof. Vent in opposite end of coop from window for ventilation. There are crosswise rafters in this coop from which to hang things. Comfortable for 6 adult large fowl ( 7 would fit fine) or 12 bantams.
.2. The livery barn style coop. Ground level. 3w x 4l x 4h. 12 sq. ft. with additional nice nest box attached to outside wall. Nest box has roof which lifts for colleting eggs and wall which comes down for easy cleaning.. Has a roofed cupola which runs the length of the roof with varmint proof windows also running its length. One window has convenient has sliding ventilation. Has 4wx 8long x3.5ft high heavy duty run which goes with it. Run is detachable for moving. End of run opposite the coop has 2 swinging doors with heavy duty latches and hinges enclosing 2 landings for the birds to nest or rest or for feeding or? Wired for electricity, light comes with it. Run is wired over but not roofed, I used a tarp to roof it with good success. Coop painted red. Has nice big door on opposite side of pop door for cleaning the coop. Excellent home for 3 adult large fowl or 6 bantams.
3. Raised coop with attached run. Inside coop measures 2.5w x 3long x 3 high=7.5 sq. ft. Good for 2 large fowl adults or 3 bantams. Pop door with vertical sliding door opens into 6 ft. high x4w x8l yard . Ramp connects coop with yard. Walk-in door to yard. Large window for light in the coop. Vent in opposite wall for ventilation. Wired for electricity. Light comes with it. One piece structure. Good bachelor quarters for a cock. Or 2 adult large fowl or 3 bantams. Painted white. No nest box inside, would need to be added to outside wall.
Please do not contact me via this list as I don't get here often. Email me at [email protected]
Thanks,
Karen Tewart

Last edited:
I have a few roosters to get rid of. Happy to meet someone part way. One welsummer, one Cochin, on necked neck and a mottled gent. I live in ny neat the George Washington bridge. Currently 7 weeks.:cd

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom