Pekin Duck Being Noisy

spazpaz

Hatching
5 Years
May 8, 2014
Hi everybody, I have a bit of a problem.

My Pekin duck will NOT stop quacking. I don't know what I should do because I live in a small neighborhood
and her quack is wall penetratingly loud. I've had her for about a year and she has always been a fairly chill duck, but recently she has been acting strangely and just this morning she started screaming (Quacking Intensely loud) . I don't even think she was provoked. I kinda figure at this point I will not be able to stop her but I would like to know why she is doing this.
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated, if not, have a good day anyways.

P.S.
I don't think she is lonely because I have another duck with her and I don't think she is just hormonal because it is the middle of winter.

Hi everybody, I have a bit of a problem.

My Pekin duck will NOT stop quacking. I don't know what I should do because I live in a small neighborhood
and her quack is wall penetratingly loud. I've had her for about a year and she has always been a fairly chill duck, but recently she has been acting strangely and just this morning she started screaming (Quacking Intensely loud) . I don't even think she was provoked. I kinda figure at this point I will not be able to stop her but I would like to know why she is doing this.
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated, if not, have a good day anyways.

P.S.
I don't think she is lonely because I have another duck with her and I don't think she is just hormonal because it is the middle of winter.
Do they have feed constantly? ducks love to eat and need to have feed and water during daylight hours. Have you gone and looked to see if anything is out of norm when she starts her loud quacking? Maybe something is stressing her out. Anyone in the neighborhood letting their dogs run loose? Are they in a run do they have a secure house? if there is something different like traffic for instance? you might try blocking what might be causing her to be upset. you can use tarps to block a view. I'd sit out or watch from a window when you hear her get started maybe if you watch for a while or go out and investigate you can figure out what's going on. Welcome to BYC

Sound advice. I guess I will just monitor the yard a bit more than I have. Thanks so much,
smile.png

Pekins like to hear themselves talk. If it happens around her feeding time, she might be wanting more food. The other duck might be doing something different and she is reacting to that. Like Miss M said, something in the yard might be disturbing them. I don't know where you are, but here it is winter and mine are confined more than normal. Swimming is not as easy, so some of them like to make noise to protest.

Let us know if you find anything out of the ordinary.

Pekins are chatty, but loud quacks are usually a sign that something is bothering them.

The only other type of loud quack they do is the quack where they sound like they're laughing. usually that means they're lonely or looking for male companionship. They actually seem to do it more during non-breeding season when the males are less aggressive.

Last edited:
First, I want to thank you all for being so awesome, and second, I found a black cat in my neighborhood running around. I haven't seen it in a little bit and my little girls are back to normal
smile.png

Thank you all and have a nice life
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom