Pecking problem! Need remedies PLEASE!!

JLS

Love my feathered babies!
14 Years
May 29, 2009
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I have been dealing with a big pecking problem. This is what I have done wrong, which I have corrected:

Had two 60 watt bulbs on 24/7 for heat and light - kept them inside coop for fear of too much cold.

As a result I have had 4 birds severely pecked on their bottoms. I brought those birds in to my basement a few weeks agao. They have healed minus a lot of feathers. Two of the birds I put out in the coop this AM. One appears to have been pecked again. I also found one of the opringtons pecking the back of my faverolle. The faverolle is inside now due to a good sized bleeding wound. I put a band on the leg of the orpington who was pecking so I would be able to identify her later.

I need to stop this from happening! I dont like to have my ladies fighting and I really dont like keeping chickens in my basement! PLEASE help me stop this madness!

I had a pecking problem a few months ago and increased the amount of animal protein that I was giving them - the pecking stopped within a day. I don't know if this is any help as my chooks are in Australia and we don't need lamps or anything like that where I live!

Hope all goes well!

fl.gif

We understand the trouble with keeping the chickens "cooped"(sorry for the pun), on the really cold days. We decide to get into chickens and we've had one of our worst winters. We have read that the chickens are like kids, they get cabin fever and bored, so to break the bordom, they chase each other and tag each other by pecking. To stop this you might try hanging an onion bag from the rafters of the coop and placing a head of lettuce in it. This will give the chickens something else to peck and it is so good for them.

As for the naked bottoms, pour some of the antibiotic powder that you can use in their H2O on their bottoms. This works super fast, even faster than neosporen.

Good luck.

Do you think it could be an overcrowding issue (now that they're being contained inside the henhouse)?? Is there plenty of room in there? Perhaps you need to downsize if not. If you know it's just the one hen doing all of the bullying, then you can isolate her (better than 4) for a while. As others have said, hanging cabbage can help alleviate boredom. Don't know how cold it is there, but even letting them out for an hour or so a day could help a little...???

I have been letting them out regardless of the temps. When this all started a few weeks ago, I called the vet. He told me to let them out asap and shut off the light. I am at the max for chicken to space ratio. I have a covered run for my ladies. So they stay dry even if they go out. As for the temps, it has been rather warm... 25-30F in the day and in the teens at night. Although it was 8F the other night.

I agree that letting them out is one way to deal with boredom pecking. They can be out on all but the nastiest, windiest days. Give them the choice, in or out, and let them decide. They should of course be locked up at night for their own safety.
Pine tar works wonderful for pecking issues. You'll find it in the equine (horse) section of the feed/farm stores. It's messy to deal with, but chickens hate the taste of it. It has healing properties as well.
Find the culprit and isolate her away from the flock for awhile. She needs to be dropped down a peg or two in the pecking order.

Quote:
I tried blue kote which was a disaster! The feed store recomended it. The blue is soo inviting to pick at! I was thinking of trying pine tar. Can the girls be with their sisters with it on? If I put the nasty one in isolation will she drop down in the pecking order?

Quote:
I tried blue kote which was a disaster! The feed store recomended it. The blue is soo inviting to pick at! I was thinking of trying pine tar. Can the girls be with their sisters with it on? If I put the nasty one in isolation will she drop down in the pecking order?

Yes, you can have the pine tar on them while they are with the flock. It gets messy, but it causes them no harm. Just try not to glob it on, to decrease the mess. My runt hen wore it for a long time after the pecking problem was resolved, but it eventually wears off.
Yes, isolating the bully usually removes her status in the flock. Keep her seperated from the flock for about a week. When she returns she will have a new attitude.
Good luck!

I am so thankful for all the help I have received! This is my plan:

add more protein to their diet, put pine tar on the injured ladies, hang up an onion bag with leafy greens, and isolate the nasty one.

I think I've got it now. Let's hope it works! Thanks again to all of you
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom