Peafowl Aviary Ideas Please!

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Okay so I started to get carried away and was about to buy some greens before building a pen for them.
roll.png
What can I say, I got too excited and I am definitely addicted at this point. I need everyone's help to get into pen building mode. Specifically, I need a very strong, long lasting pen.

After going to Rocking BAB Ranch and taking photos, my dad and I are thinking about trying this idea:

I am not sure if we will do the wrap around perch, but we are going for a small telephone pole with a big satellite dish on top.

We also want to get some coated wire to help hold up the netting. Does anyone know where to get coated netting for cheep?

-------------
A major question I have is about netting. One of my favorite questions to ask everyone is what netting you use because this is very important to me and now it is even more important since I plan on getting green peafowl. I know some will say wire is better to use as a top because it will last longer, but netting is safer for when the birds spook and that will be very important with green peafowl because they spook more easily.

The netting I have is not good for rubbing. I understand that any kind of netting might start to rub and thus break a little. My netting doesn't break when a bird hits it, but it just breaks around some areas that are attached to the fence and areas around the roosts.

So please give me your advice for what netting I need. Keep in mind that I am in Florida so I need UV resistant netting and it can get very windy here if there is a hurricane so something that does well in the wind.

Here is the list I have compiled so far of recommended types of netting. If there is one that you use and love from the list or not on the list, tell me what it is and how long you have had it. Josh told me their netting is around 10 years old and is holding up great.

Josh couldn't remember the name of the netting they use, but he said it is some kind of synthetic plastic netting so if you know where I can get that please let me know!

Netting:
Toprite Knotted netting
Pacific Netting

------------
The new aviary or aviaries will be at least 15ft. I like keeping them tall.
Now the old aviary netting is so frustrating that I will probably have to replace it. Anyone know how to replace netting when your pen already has lots of plants growing through the netting? I guess I might have to prune some of the plants to replace the netting.
This is my current aviary. I had to put up those plant pots on the roosts to help the net rubbing issue.

----------
Okay so now for predator talk. My problem here is raccoons. I thought they were done with me. I thought those two killer coons were run over by cars. They probably were but then came along a new one this year. We got him, but I am sure there will be more. So far it seems like you all have some of the best luck when you have 1 or more outside dogs to help watch over your birds. My Grandma's is not all fenced in and it is my Grandmas not our house so keeping a dog there is not yet an option (eventually I might live there but not now). Soo I should stick to hot wires probably right? Will raccoons learn to jump over hot wires?

I love what Josh did with that wrap around perch! We just got our flight netting in for our new aviary. We always use 2" knotted netting cause we have to consider snow...and talking about snow it is snowing here and I absolutely hate it! I think my dad likes the idea of a wrap around perch, so we will experiment with that. I do not know the answers to the other questions, since we do not have problems with that, but hopefully someone will come around and give some ideas.

Your netting (all kinds) will last longer if you take care of possible rubbing spots. Even if its just to top posts with a frisbee. As long as you can keep electricity going, a hot wire is the best coon deterrent. No they won't learn to jump over it. You could also make the bottom 2' of your run solid, predators are less likely to go after prey they can't see. I don't know how you are going to replace the netting without pruning everything growing through it, until it gets beyond repair, it would be easier to mend it and reinforce where there is a problem. Are you having problems with coons climbing the fence and going through the netting? I haven't (crossing my fingers here) had that happen.

My netting was off of eBay. how do you secure yours to the fence?

The error we made when we made this pen was not even thinking about rubbing being an issue. This time we will make sure we have something to cover all of the possible bad areas. What I am still confused about is how my netting was breaking around the fence. We attach the netting to the fence with bunny clips, and for quick repair we use zip ties. I don't know if the bunny clips were rubbing on the netting or what...

I am not sure if a 2ft. sight barrier would work...The coons would come in at night and take a bird off of the roost. The roost is high so even with a sight barrier the coons would probably still be able to see the birds. Also when they got a peahen this year, she was inside a nest box that was a few feet off of the ground. In my opinion she was well hidden but one got her. The raccoons would come in through a corner of the aviary. They liked to pick a corner that had a wooden post (we mainly use T poles but we use wooden posts for the corners) and they would climb up the post and go in through the netting. We thought maybe instead of putting hot wire on the ground we should put it around the top of the fence. Let me see if I have a photo of them getting in...

I thought we had a photo of them getting in but these are the evil coons we had to deal with. The trap in the photo is a coyote trap so those are big raccoons. They killed a very nice pied peacock I had and a peahen. In total I have lost 3 birds to raccoons. For me that is a lot because I don't keep a lot of birds.

I thought it was all over until this year when a raccoon killed my peahen Fiona when she was in a nest box on her eggs. I definitely don't want to see this sight ever again. You see feathers everywhere and you franticly look around at the peas to see who it was because sometimes it is hard to tell. I wish raccoons couldn't take down peafowl. I didn't know they could but they sure showed me because the first bird they ever killed here was an adult peacock.

Back
Top Bottom