Peacock as a Daddy?

red horse ranch

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Buffalo Wyoming
I have a 2 year old pair of peafowl and the hen is broody for the first time on 6 eggs. I'm curious about how the males are with babies. I will keep her confined separately with the chicks when they hatch for a few weeks but I would like to know how he should react when she takes them around him for the first time. Will he hurt the chicks or help raise them?
My peacock spends a lot of time watching the chickens and guineas thru the fence when they have little ones running around and I just don't know what to expect.:hmm

He will be fine with the chicks.
IMG_0095.JPG

He might even help feed them like this guy did. I let all the hens have the last eggs of the season and let them raise them in the breeding pens. I have never seen any peacock hurt the chicks.

I'm so glad to hear that. When do you let the cock in with her and the chicks? Or is he with her thru the hatching? I do have a pen that I will move her and the chicks to when she hatches. Right now she has her nest on the hay in the barn.
DSCN1168.JPG

I guess I'll keep mama and babies confined separately then. I don't plan on keeping any little ones but chicken math happens with peafowl too, I suppose... :hmm

Back
Top Bottom