Peachicks of 2017, Show Us Your Babies!

IMG_20170604_204327419.jpg

Hatched today~Silver Pied aka "Pie".

1.jpg

Does anyone know of a good pictoral reference for how the coloration matures on the Silver Pied? I've searched Google without any luck. I would love to see photos from chick to adult. This is the sire (Sterling) who was purchased as a yearling. He is now 2. Thanks in advance for any good reading materials.

4471sm.jpg

Thanks for the link. :) That's a very nice collection of the various colors for reference. I've bookmarked it. However; what I was looking for is a timeline of the same bird/s at various ages up to maturity. I should have been more specific in my initial request. Basically, what I wanted to see was if the pattern at birth remains fairly true or can change dramatically.

Thanks for the link. :) That's a very nice collection of the various colors for reference. I've bookmarked it. However; what I was looking for is a timeline of the same bird/s at various ages up to maturity. I should have been more specific in my initial request. Basically, what I wanted to see was if the pattern at birth remains fairly true or can change dramatically.

Black Shoulder pattern changes dramatically in the cocks until they are three years of age then very little change after that. Pieds, White Eye, and Dark Pieds change very little at all.

I have documented the various stages in some Silver Pied and Pied birds from hatch up until I sold two of the three SP and both of the Pieds were taken by predators, I've only the one SP left now. It would just take way too much time and effort to go back through thousands of pics putting it all together. As a matter of fact, most of those pics are in the database, though probably not in a single file.

I actually am working on following the pied through chick pattern to adult plumage. So far I have kept one pied peacock from hatch because he had the chick pattern that I hoped would mature into the train I wanted on a pied. I have 2 silver pied peacocks and do not care for the solid white trains. I wanted color and white feathers so I kept Zazzle. He has a white patch in his train as a yearling. In the next few years I will chart peachick patterns as I work more on my Purple pieds and Bronze pieds. Silver pieds just have too much white in the train for me.

I actually am working on following the pied through chick pattern to adult plumage. So far I have kept one pied peacock from hatch because he had the chick pattern that I hoped would mature into the train I wanted on a pied. I have 2 silver pied peacocks and do not care for the solid white trains. I wanted color and white feathers so I kept Zazzle. He has a white patch in his train as a yearling. In the next few years I will chart peachick patterns as I work more on my Purple pieds and Bronze pieds. Silver pieds just have too much white in the train for me.

Thank you for your reply. I feel that this will be very beneficial to others. The point of breeding (as I understand it) is to improve one's stock and in order to do that; one has to evaluate the offspring. It's rather difficult to do so without some point of photographic reference in terms of color/pattern. Seeing the changes in a specific animal over a period of time could prove to be an excellent, documented reference. I also plan to photo document our chicks here.

Like you, I too prefer more color distribution through the tail although I love the Silver Pied and White. I had originally asked because my point of personal reference here is very limited and the experience of others who work on a more extensive basis would be helpful. It seems to be extremely difficult to find printed materials with factual data or organizations that are willing to share. I understand the pitfalls of dealing with competition, but ultimately this is something for the benefit of the birds and future generations. I be would hopeful that others could bear that in mind and look at the big picture that it's a Win-Win for everyone.

Last edited:
My first peachick of the season, and he/she is white:
IMG_3339.JPG
Might be a singleton hatch tho. Two other viable eggs went into the hatcher & aren't showing much promise. Still only day 28, so fingers & toes crossed. If I don't end up with another peachick this weekend, is it a bad idea to put a chicken chick with him? Or would it be better to slip him under a broody peahen?

Back
Top Bottom