Panting with a pale comb and not dehydrated?

AChickenInEveryPot

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2017
Central Virginia
Hello all!

We recently got a Black Copper Maran from a swap, since then, we've noticed her panting intermittently and sneezing/snorting once every now and then. Over time not much changed that was concerning, so we introduced her to the flock. Over the past few days her comb has gotten progressively more pale. Haven't noticed much lethargy, wheezing or anything and these are really the only symptoms I've seen exhibited by her.

I noticed her panting the day we got her at the swap, but just thought it was the fact of her cage sitting in the sun. The panting isn't particularly labored and will occur after a good bit of activity or some stressor. I haven't noticed this in other chickens we have introduced to the flock before. It hasn't been particularly warm for our area (Central Virginia, highs of mid 80s during the day to the lows of high 60s to low 70s at night). I haven't noticed her drinking a ton of water, but she is drinking here and there.

Do y'all have any ideas as to what it could be, how to treat it, or any ideas to help her out? Could it be respiratory or something else internal? Could it be as simple as her not drinking as much water due to pecking order in the new flock (even though she's the largest bird there)?

Thanks for reading.

Could be stress. have you tried mixing electrolytes and probiotics in the water? This often helps with stress and dehydration for a newly introduced chicken. Keep a close eye on her and the other too. She should have been quarantined at least 2 weeks.

Unless you follow bio security to a T...Isolatng the Bird from others is pointless...Set up another food and water station...Keep her in a look no touch pen...Fingers crossed she has not brought something really bad into your flock...Best of luck....

Back
Top Bottom