Owl deterrent? THEY'RE BACK and GHO

mmaddie's mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Elmwood, Illinois, USA
For over 2 weeks I have had nightly visits from 1 to 3 large owls (still don't know if Barred or GHO... suspect GHO). The flock has been on shortened free range from 11am-5pm and I have lost no one (including 15 3week old babies)! Still don't want to become permanent home to these owls!
barnie.gif

Last night I had an idea! We have a pair of large yard lights on the house and I decided to leave them on all night to see if it would deter the owls. Lights on all night and never a "Whoo" or a "Hoot" all night... first night in weeks! Did the light deter them? or just a fluke? Anyone have any thoughts?
hu.gif

Last edited:
when you see them are they sitting ,, as on a limb or post , if so you can nail some carpet tack strip where they are siyying and make it uncomfortable for them to sit there . maby put some anywhere they can sit and watch,, this worked for me with owls and hawks .

The owls will get used to the lights and return. Sometimes you can mix up your schedule a bit and the predators will stay away not knowing what to expect. Tonight leave the lights off and see what happens. Tomorrow night turn them on for the night. Randomly leave the lights on or off, and see if that has an impact on their presence. Make it so they don't know what to expect when they come visiting. They will not be likely to hang around if things are always changing. Change makes animals nervous.

Good luck.

Quote:
I'm thinking you are right CVM. Variety will keep them on their toes and hopefully from settling in my yard. My daughter left behind some large wind chimes that I think I will hang out under the big pine and the sycamore and move them every once in a while. Lights out last night and still no owls. Thanks.

mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
I'm thinking you are right CVM. Variety will keep them on their toes and hopefully from settling in my yard. My daughter left behind some large wind chimes that I think I will hang out under the big pine and the sycamore and move them every once in a while. Lights out last night and still no owls. Thanks.

Let me know if this works. We have alot of owls out here. I would know to know if it works i will do it at the barn since thats where the coops are.​

Quote:

Let me know if this works. We have alot of owls out here. I would know to know if it works i will do it at the barn since thats where the coops are.

Well we are only 5 days in on this, but so far I have not had owls for the last 5 days and I had them (in multiples) every night for the previous 2-3 weeks? Is it just timing... were they just moving through... have the lights made a difference... did it deter them from settling here? These owls were for sure not "settled" here... someone said earlier that maybe some of this last year's hatch were looking for their own territory and were checking out my very tall, very mature trees (with lots of big horizontal branches)... good footing and good view. I guess the only way to know for sure is to do something similar, some change of environment, in your space... I'm thinking that this worked because the were not "settled" but I would be curious, also, if this worked with mature owls who had been there for a while and had already made it there's. If anyone else tries this, let us all know how it works... also, WHAT changes of environment did you do?

mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
Let me know if this works. We have alot of owls out here. I would know to know if it works i will do it at the barn since thats where the coops are.

Well we are only 5 days in on this, but so far I have not had owls for the last 5 days and I had them (in multiples) every night for the previous 2-3 weeks? Is it just timing... were they just moving through... have the lights made a difference... did it deter them from settling here? These owls were for sure not "settled" here... someone said earlier that maybe some of this last year's hatch were looking for their own territory and were checking out my very tall, very mature trees (with lots of big horizontal branches)... good footing and good view. I guess the only way to know for sure is to do something similar, some change of environment, in your space... I'm thinking that this worked because the were not "settled" but I would be curious, also, if this worked with mature owls who had been there for a while and had already made it there's. If anyone else tries this, let us all know how it works... also, WHAT changes of environment did you do?​

ok i will try it when i start hearing them. Ya we have pine trees every ten feet down the fence line on two sides and we have 5 acres so we have alot of trees. They where sitting in the tree next to my window but i havent heard them lately.

Back
Top Bottom