Our Pearl guinea fowl are laying eggs now.

wkyongae

Chirping
Dec 9, 2019
We have eleven, 7 females and 4 males. Not all are laying. We get 2 to 3 eggs a day. Today we got 4. We have around 14 in the incubator now on day 6. My wife seen one of the males breeding the other day when they where outside. We run lights in the barn for our quail. And in the other pens as well so we can see to clean up after them. But is this normal? Our jumbo guinea don't lay eggs yet. Our almost 2 year old pheasants are as well.

We have eleven, 7 females and 4 males. Not all are laying. We get 2 to 3 eggs a day. Today we got 4. We have around 14 in the incubator now on day 6. My wife seen one of the males breeding the other day when they where outside. We run lights in the barn for our quail. And in the other pens as well so we can see to clean up after them. But is this normal? Our jumbo guinea don't lay eggs yet. Our almost 2 year old pheasants are as well.
Providing supplemental light can cause the guineas to lay earlier than normal. Starting to lay early will also cause them to stop laying earlier than normal.

I do not provide supplemental light for my guineas. Last year they started laying in April and finished laying by October.

Providing supplemental light can cause the guineas to lay earlier than normal. Starting to lay early will also cause them to stop laying earlier than normal.

I do not provide supplemental light for my guineas. Last year they started laying in April and finished laying by October.
Cruuuuuud....even if the light is just at night? Mine won't go in the coop without the light. Mine started laying about 3 weeks ago. Each guinea laid an egg every afternoon. Yesterday I got 2 eggs and today none.
Could this be a light problem or do they just take breaks sometimes?

Right now we are getting 4 eggs per day. We range them in the morning till about 11am. Then in they go to lay eggs around 1pm to 3pm. After that I don t think a stick of dynamite could get them back outside. We use a 13 watt l.e.d. bulb in their pen. Same bulb for our quail that lay 365 days a year. This system works for us.

Right now we are getting 4 eggs per day. We range them in the morning till about 11am. Then in they go to lay eggs around 1pm to 3pm. After that I don t think a stick of dynamite could get them back outside. We use a 13 watt l.e.d. bulb in their pen. Same bulb for our quail that lay 365 days a year. This system works for us.
It's funny how different they can be. Mine are screaming at sunrise to get let out of their coop and they won't go near it until sunset. They've been laying eggs in the early afternoon anywhere in their yard...in the middle, near their water, under a bush..no rhyme or reason.

Our scream too in the morning and at 11am to be let in. My wife saw 2 hens building a nest once around 10am and chased all the guineas into the barn. We call what you do easter egg hunting.

It's funny how different they can be. Mine are screaming at sunrise to get let out of their coop and they won't go near it until sunset. They've been laying eggs in the early afternoon anywhere in their yard...in the middle, near their water, under a bush..no rhyme or reason.
Mine are the same. They want out the moment light hits their windows and good luck trying to get them cooped before they think it’s time😂

I wouldn’t worry too much about the light causing them to lay early. Mine started in March last year and stopped around September I think. And that was due to me giving them light that first year.
They might stop a bit early, but I’m sure you’ll still stay close to the normal laying season.
I don’t give mine light now so they can keep a seasonal laying schedule.

Mine are the same. They want out the moment light hits their windows and good luck trying to get them cooped before they think it’s time😂

I wouldn’t worry too much about the light causing them to lay early. Mine started in March last year and stopped around September I think. And that was due to me giving them light that first year.
They might stop a bit early, but I’m sure you’ll still stay close to the normal laying season.
I don’t give mine light now so they can keep a seasonal laying schedule.

I hope so! I got use to seeing eggs everyday and then nothing. Hopefully they'll be back to work today. Lol

Back
Top Bottom