Our new coop and run for our silkie flock!!

Amyu8388

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2023
Almost done with our coop and run...I'm loving it so far. My husband and I have been working on this after work and on weekends for a couple of months now. We have dug and buried the hardware cloth all around and then topped with huge rocks. Still have to finish the run door and a bit more painting and other finishing touches but I'm so proud of it and so grateful for my husband...the whole getting chickens thing wasn't really something he signed on for but I think he see's the joy they bring me so he's helped every step of the way
1000026180.jpg
1000026182.jpg

Oh, and we will be adding a roof, in the meantime it will be heavy bird netting... they'll be locked in coop at night

Looking good. I would like to see some pictures of the inside should you get a chance to post some.
Are those air vents under the eaves? I like that coop could be moved if necessary. This can be very helpfull with ground management when it comes to parasites.
I like the tall, steep roof. You can get a lot of air movement between the vents under the overhang and an exit point as near to the apex of the roof as one can.
I'm going to say the run is too small but I say that about 99% of the coop and run builds I see.
You wait, a few months of watching the chickens, or even watching you watching the chickens and he'll want to try and work out the attraction. Most of the men chicken keepers I know adore their birds.

Looking good. I would like to see some pictures of the inside should you get a chance to post some.
Are those air vents under the eaves? I like that coop could be moved if necessary. This can be very helpfull with ground management when it comes to parasites.
I like the tall, steep roof. You can get a lot of air movement between the vents under the overhang and an exit point as near to the apex of the roof as one can.
I'm going to say the run is too small but I say that about 99% of the coop and run builds I see.
You wait, a few months of watching the chickens, or even watching you watching the chickens and he'll want to try and work out the attraction. Most of the men chicken keepers I know adore their birds.
Yes, vents in the eaves covered by hardware cloth also a pop door/vent at the back and adding a fan in the back wall to pull air through on really hot days...I'm in Ky so it gets a bit extreme here heat wise. We're starting work on the inside...some kind of roost, poop shelf...the silkies are 8 wks currently and prefer to sleep in a pile but def want to get them roosting. I 1000% agree about the run, I'm already wanting to expand but we're getting ready to make a run for the big coop for my standard size chickens which I'm wanting to make huge, so expansion on the silkie run will have to wait, lol. I'll get a pic of the inside here in a bit and show that.

Back
Top Bottom