Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

I got some pics today,also have a question about one of our LS's legs too.

Here we go, not a heap of details as I am well past my bedtime!

No doubt about that Mr!

The silkie, thinking the colour is splash?! Nice nature, hope it's not a male!

Wylkie/ Corox

Cochin, so far the only one we are confident is a pullet.

Mr Palomino New Hapshire

"Blue" Australorp....also very much a male and so Blue he's almost certainly black.

My final question. Just one of our flock has this on her leg. I first thought it was Scaly leg mites, but looking at pictures it would be on them all, and right up their legs. She only has this around her foot area, and only on one bird. Do birds shed scales around the time of moult? Is this just mud and dirt worked under there or should I go ahead and treat for leg mites?

We have not seen any mites or bugs, just this one girl, seems a bit dry like she is molting them?!

Don't they grow fast? It's still a bit early to call on the silkie. The wylnation is certainly doesn't have a star comb. On the feet issue I would treat it as scaley leg mite , just to be safe. Dry weather and molting can cause flakey scales but the treatment is pretty much the same. Vaseline or generic olive oil in a spray pack
Will do the trick. Don't want to let it get away on you, check these graphic pics out.

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf

Don't they grow fast? It's still a bit early to call on the silkie. The wylnation is certainly doesn't have a star comb. On the feet issue I would treat it as scaley leg mite , just to be safe. Dry weather and molting can cause flakey scales but the treatment is pretty much the same. Vaseline or generic olive oil in a spray pack
Will do the trick. Don't want to let it get away on you, check these graphic pics out.

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf

Yeah, seems as soon as they hit the grass they shot up a notch. I have no idea what I am doing with the gender of the silkie, seems most methods are a bit hit and miss until they show definite traits like, crowing!

Thanks, we will treat Cleo as you say. If it is mites, we must have got it very early. I have seen it in the past in other peoples flocks and it looked far worse than what our girls has. Still, as you say, treat it now and save the spread.
Graphic is right! Weak stomachs should start at page 31 for the scaly mites! Poor Ben will have flashbacks to his Marek's days.
This article reminded me of my previous life as a medical assistant, we would look throughout the physicians' dermatology books to gross each other out!!
Lol, I have read that before back when I was doing MD research. Certainly some graphic pics, but sometimes that's exactly whats needed.

Have a great day team, I'm off to pick up my little brother :)

Yeah, seems as soon as they hit the grass they shot up a notch. I have no idea what I am doing with the gender of the silkie, seems most methods are a bit hit and miss until they show definite traits like, crowing!

Thanks, we will treat Cleo as you say. If it is mites, we must have got it very early. I have seen it in the past in other peoples flocks and it looked far worse than what our girls has. Still, as you say, treat it now and save the spread.
Graphic is right! Weak stomachs should start at page 31 for the scaly mites! Poor Ben will have flashbacks to his Marek's days.

This article reminded me of my previous life as a medical assistant, we would look throughout the physicians' dermatology books to gross each other out!!

Lol, I have read that before back when I was doing MD research. Certainly some graphic pics, but sometimes that's exactly whats needed.

Have a great day team, I'm off to pick up my little brother :)

Hope you get the leg sorted before it turns to something.

Have fun with your brother, and remember t o lift with your legs.

Yeah, I hear a few people talk on here and am like "ohhhh that's what you sound like"

Occasionally faces show up, often not what I imagined too. Early in this thread, I met a person who's username is @NovaAman I had assumed through seeing that name, it was Aman called Nova. Turns out was a very funny lady! Hi Nova!

Some amazing pic. I love the crater. I visited Wolf Crater a few years back on a work trip, that was made by a meteor, and certainly not as pretty. Not the best picture, I had to take two pics to get it all in, but the other pic have some people in it that would probably prefer not to be posted on the internet.

A big rock moving pretty dang fast can make a very big hole.
I literally just got this "Hi Nova" notification. I haven't opened my email in so very long, or been here to your thread for even longer! What kind of friend am I... so sad... LOL AND NO, there is no way I will even think about reading over 1000 posts to catch up. I am crazy. Not bored. LOL

But HI Ben!

And yeah... about the leg... I am also going to go with mites in the very early stages. You can see the lifting of the scales. You don't really see the leg mites. As much as vaseline is good for smothering them, if you use scarlet oil instead, you'll also soften the scales and improve the condition of the legs. It's messy sure, but it works great. Avon skin so soft is another thing that works. Not kidding. LOL

Back
Top Bottom