our chicks survived the trip!!!

sloper74

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
We ordered 50 chicks from Ideal and only lost 1 in shipment. All are doing well. I kept waking up during the night thinking I would miss the post office call. 6:15 this morning we picked them up and all are doing well. Ideal really packaged them well, they had only 2 air slots and they are were toasty warm when we removed them to dip their beaks.

I kept reading the horror stories about frozen chicks and thought, "Maybe I ordered too early." Last night was down to 5 degrees in VA...

Just wanted to encourage you all who ordered - it can turn out ok!

Stephanie

That is great to hear Stephanie! Are these your first? Can you post some pics? I'm sure others here would love to see the little guys! What did you order?

-Eric

Thank You steph cuz I was worried I ordered to early to- I thought the PO had rules for hatcheries to but I guess cuz they day olds the rules are different

Last edited:
This is our 2nd order - we ordered 50 about 2 years ago from McMurray but had some casualties and were down to around 30. So we thought we'd try and replenish the flock. My 9 year old sells the eggs to save for college/car.

Here's what we got. Looks like the dead one was an Australorp or Cuckoo (can't tell which):

8 Cuckoo Maran pullets
8 RIR pullets
5 red frizzle cochin bantams (str.run)
10 Black Australorps pullets
7 Buff Orps pullets
5 Salmon Favorelles pullets
7 Araucanas pullets

We live in VA and it has been pretty cold; I'm really pleased with how they packaged them though. And the post office called me right away and kept them by a heater til I picked them up (they rode in the truck from TX to VA)

What did you all order and from whom? We were going to do McMurray again this year but their shipping prices went way up and they didn't have any Salmons or Cuckoo pullets (just straight run). But we had good luck with their Rainbow Layers special 2 years ago. If I figure out how to load a pic I'll do that. I'm just glad they survived, I had visions of opening up the box to a bunch of chicksicles.

Congrats on all your new babies!
Sorry about the lost chick.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom