Our Chicken Run with Planters

thewatsonfarm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2015
Orange County, California
When we were designing a run to protect our girls from a hawk, I was desperate for ideas. Now I hope that sharing might help someone else. We already had two small coops with nesting boxes already inside an enclosure on the side of the house. We enclosed the rest of that side yard. It's not quite as predator proof, due to sprinklers and the AC and other access issues. So there's a door between the two parts to keep the girls safe when they sleep.

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 66
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 43
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 40
They like to perch on the sides of the planters, which are 2" x 6" boards. They have a good size dirt bath too. I decorated the space with party lights and I have lots of painted chicken art too.

The first round of plants were devoured quickly (it shocked me how quickly my hens could eat a five gallon jasmine plant!) So now their plants aren't edible. I grow their greens in my garden and tuck them into the bushes in the planters. But I'm about to put in some hanging baskets with strawberries planted for them, as soon as I can get the drip irrigation set up. I figure they can only eat what they can reach, and the hanging baskets will be out of their jump zone. It is a challenge planning around crafty hens!

Attachments

• back1.jpg
    back1.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 39
  • back2.jpg
    back2.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 41
That's doesn't mean they won't destroy them.
Might need netting to protect your planters from turning into dust baths.

True. I actually protect the plants now with a cylinder made of chicken wire. I use 24" or 36" tall, depending on the plant, and bury the cylinder when planting so the root ball is protected. They have learned that they can squash down the part that's above ground, but the core of the plant is protected and I'm not losing plants any more.

Back
Top Bottom