Organic feed for mixed flock (geese and chickens)??

KatieAnnFrench

Chirping
Apr 5, 2019
Hi everyone! I need some advice on what to feed my mixed flock when I put them all into 1 shared coop. I'm looking for an organic, non-gmo feed that is suitable for: 1 adult laying hen, 6 young chickens (5 weeks), and 1 young rooster (5 weeks old), and 2 emden/pilgrim hybrid geese (also 5 weeks old). Right now, the chicks and goslings are in a big brooder in my living room, and they're all eating chick starter/grower with a lot of supplemental grass and veggies.

I read that the calcium content in chicken laying feed is too high for both geese and roosters (can cause angel wing in emden geese? anyone had experience with this?) so I was considering keeping everyone on the starter/grower feed, which has minimal calcium, and providing supplemental oyster shells for the hens. I would raise the oyster shell dish so the geese can't get to it. I heard the high protein content in the chick starter/grower (24%) would not be an issue for my adult birds (layer feed is around (16%?). I would also put fresh grass and veggies in the coop daily, which the geese will probably eat most of.

Has anyone had experience or success with this? I just want to make sure everyone is healthy and happy. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom