Ordinance change in Richfield Utah?

undergroundchickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Utah
Hi, I recently fell in love with the idea of having a few hens for eggs in our backyard. I have always loved to see chicken on the back roads and with the economy it just makes a lot of sense. I did a little research and found out that there is an ordinance against chickens in Richfield. I have a feeling that the council is not going to be friendly at all due to reading the minutes from last spring on the issue.

6. REQUEST TO ALLOW CHICKENS WITHIN RICHFIELD CITY. 7:05:14 PM Julie Brown has been associated with the One-Way Ministry as a volunteer for some time. This year she is helping them plant a garden. She indicated that along with a garden, they would like to raise chickens. Because the City currently has an ordinance that does not allow chickens, she wanted to inform the Council of things that are taking place around the country with regard to chickens.

She discussed several cities throughout the United States that are allowing chickens. She told the Council that Provo, Mill creek, Moab, West Valley City and South Jordan are amending their ordinances to allow chickens. Other cities in Utah that currently allow chickens are Sandy and Alpine.

It seems to her that given the current economic situation of our country, we should consider this change to allow people to become self-reliant. Murray McMurray is selling more chickens this year than they have for 92years. 7:10:01 PM

She indicated that hens are quieter than dogs or parrots. When they are well cared for, they do not smell and when kept in coops they do not roam into neighbors’ yards. Mrs. Brown also gave the Council a copy of a proposed ordinance. Mrs. Brown told the Council that chickens are more on the line of a hamster, guinea pig, or parakeet and people should be encouraged to help themselves, which is why the ordinance should be changed.

7:13:29 PM Councilmember Rappleye was concerned that changing the ordinance to allow chickens would lead to requests to allow other animals like lambs or goats because they would be raising them for food and milk, too. Councilmember Lunnen stated that the current ordinance “expressly prohibits chickens, pigeons, geese,ducks, etc.”

Councilmember Jacobsen remembered when we had chickens in Richfield. He felt that the councils before this had a reason for passing the ordinance not allowing chickens in the first place. Councilmember Lunnen was not inclined to seethe ordinance changed. Councilmember Rappleye did not think we should change the ordinance either. Councilmember Chidester had some concerns as well and did not think the ordinance merited a change at this time.

Mrs. Brown asked if the Council would consider a petition. Mayor Ramsay indicated that it would be important that those who sign the petition are residents of Richfield City. Then, if there is enough support, the Council could look at it again. Councilmember Lunnen indicated that a petition would not change his mind. Mayor Ramsay indicated that it might be better to wait and see how the economy goes. Mrs. Brown asked how long the process to change the ordinance would take. Mayor Ramsay told here that it would at least take a month.

Is there a way to change their minds? I believe Lunnen is still there but we do have a few new council members.

Thanks for any help/advice in the matter.

p.s. I tried to find this Julie Brown that tried to get the ordinance changed last year but she is not listed in the phone book and the few people I have asked don't know her.​

Last edited:
I am in Fairview and we are looking at amending our current ordinance, which is very confusing. Do you know what chicken owners would like to see from the ordinance in Richfield?

Hi, I recently fell in love with the idea of having a few hens for eggs in our backyard. I have always loved to see chicken on the back roads and with the economy it just makes a lot of sense. I did a little research and found out that there is an ordinance against chickens in Richfield. I have a feeling that the council is not going to be friendly at all due to reading the minutes from last spring on the issue.

6. REQUEST TO ALLOW CHICKENS WITHIN RICHFIELD CITY. 7:05:14 PM Julie Brown has been associated with the One-Way Ministry as a volunteer for some time. This year she is helping them plant a garden. She indicated that along with a garden, they would like to raise chickens. Because the City currently has an ordinance that does not allow chickens, she wanted to inform the Council of things that are taking place around the country with regard to chickens.​
She discussed several cities throughout the United States that are allowing chickens. She told the Council that Provo, Mill creek, Moab, West Valley City and South Jordan are amending their ordinances to allow chickens. Other cities in Utah that currently allow chickens are Sandy and Alpine.​
It seems to her that given the current economic situation of our country, we should consider this change to allow people to become self-reliant. Murray McMurray is selling more chickens this year than they have for 92years. 7:10:01 PM​
She indicated that hens are quieter than dogs or parrots. When they are well cared for, they do not smell and when kept in coops they do not roam into neighbors yards. Mrs. Brown also gave the Council a copy of a proposed ordinance. Mrs. Brown told the Council that chickens are more on the line of a hamster, guinea pig, or parakeet and people should be encouraged to help themselves, which is why the ordinance should be changed.​
7:13:29 PM Councilmember Rappleye was concerned that changing the ordinance to allow chickens would lead to requests to allow other animals like lambs or goats because they would be raising them for food and milk, too. To Councilmember Lunnen stated that the current ordinance expressly prohibits chickens, pigeons, geese,ducks, etc.​
Councilmember Jacobsen remembered when we had chickens in Richfield. He felt that the councils before this had a reason for passing the ordinance not allowing chickens in the first place. Councilmember Lunnen was not inclined to seethe ordinance changed. Councilmember Rappleye did not think we should change the ordinance either. Councilmember Chidester had some concerns as well and did not think the ordinance merited a change at this time.​
Mrs. Brown asked if the Council would consider a petition. Mayor Ramsay indicated that it would be important that those who sign the petition are residents of Richfield City. Then, if there is enough support, the Council could look at it again. Councilmember Lunnen indicated that a petition would not change his mind. Mayor Ramsay indicated that it might be better to wait and see how the economy goes. Mrs. Brown asked how long the process to change the ordinance would take. Mayor Ramsay told here that it would at least take a month.​
Is there a way to change their minds? I believe Lunnen is still there but we do have a few new council members.​
Thanks for any help/advice in the matter.​
p.s. I tried to find this Julie Brown that tried to get the ordinance changed last year but she is not listed in the phone book and the few people I have asked don't know her.​
I am a Richfield resident and a single dad where my boy was sexual abuse and mental abuse by his Mother, step sister, and half brother. There was a investigation here in Richfield by DCFS, The city Police and several other members involved with the law. In turn back last Easter I bought my boy several baby chickens hoping it eiuld help him mentally. Well tk my surprise, the surprise of his Teachers, principles and school consular. He has done a complete turn around with his daily life. Takeing his chickens away would be very devastating to him. I you need me to come give s council meeting with mg boy on help change this ordinance I will be in 100% in favor. Let do this together and make Richfield better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a Richfield resident and a single dad where my boy was sexual abuse and mental abuse by his Mother, step sister, and half brother. There was a investigation here in Richfield by DCFS, The city Police and several other members involved with the law. In turn back last Easter I bought my boy several baby chickens hoping it eiuld help him mentally. Well tk my surprise, the surprise of his Teachers, principles and school consular. He has done a complete turn around with his daily life. Takeing his chickens away would be very devastating to him. I you need me to come give s council meeting with mg boy on help change this ordinance I will be in 100% in favor. Let do this together and make Richfield better.

You are responding to a post that is 14 years old so there is little chance for a reply.

Back
Top Bottom