Options for predator proofing my property, 5 acres, Ohio

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, I'm posting here some photos of my property in hopes for your input for the best options for dealing with predators (note lots of visiting wild geese this morning). Have lost a duck a day this week. Just shot at a mangy fox. Last year there were minks that I poisoned maybe they are back. Here are my ideas so far:
-Fence in the entire 2 acres around the pond (prohibitively expensive)
-Hire a trapper
-Try my own luck with traps
-keep all the ducks in the chicken run with a kiddie pool
-switch to embden geese for meat birds as their size may be a deterrent to minks and foxes
- build dog houses and station the dogs around the pond during the day
-build duck house by the pond

IMG_20240520_072421201_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20240520_072327796_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240520_072247322~2.jpg

Last edited:
Dog proof traps for raccoons. Live trap for others. Foxes are not hard to catch with certain leg hold traps, but no bueno if you have dogs. You also can use predator calls for foxes and yotes...and shoot them if you are set up or comfortable doing that.

I have heard of people getting livestock guardian dogs also but have no idea how expensive they are.

Good luck and all the best.

Dog proof traps for raccoons. Live trap for others. Foxes are not hard to catch with certain leg hold traps, but no bueno if you have dogs. You also can use predator calls for foxes and yotes...and shoot them if you are set up or comfortable doing that.

I have heard of people getting livestock guardian dogs also but have no idea how expensive they are.

Good luck and all the best.
Would it be a good idea to keep the ducks inside until all the minks and foxes are trapped?

Electric poultry netting. Four feet tall. It will keep the ducks and chickens in, keep fox, raccoons, neighbor's dogs and cats, out. Weasels can get in. For weasels I use poison.

You can also use the poultry netting to rotate your birds around the property. I have used it for chickens, sheep, and donkeys.

Is fencing in the entire pond feasible, or recommended for hobby farm production? The fence length would be at least 600-800 ft long.

Ponds are hot spots for predators so be advised you use will have to trap or kill predators regularly to keep water fowl.There are no simple fixes when you have a pond because they attract wildlife. We only have a creek in front of us and a few springs nearby but the state has a pond full of koi less than a quarter mile from us.

Ponds are hot spots for predators so be advised you use will have to trap or kill predators regularly to keep water fowl.There are no simple fixes when you have a pond because they attract wildlife. We only have a creek in front of us and a few springs nearby but the state has a pond full of koi less than a quarter mile from us.
@McChooky would it be effective to drop rat poison pellets (bronethelaine) in their burrows? I know about where they are and one of my dogs is good at finding them. The dogs would stay leashed for the next few months. This would be easier for me than traps

@McChooky would it be effective to drop rat poison pellets (bronethelaine) in their burrows? I know about where they are and one of my dogs is good at finding them. The dogs would stay leashed for the next few months. This would be easier for me than traps
Trapping is the only method I'd recommend .If fencing the whole pond isn't feasible fence only a portion of the pond.Some take their fence out into the water so the birds can sleep on the water at night.You need guardian livestock dogs if you can't fence predators out.Can you train your dogs?

Back
Top Bottom