Opinions?

LRH97

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Well, after a break from raising bantams I've decided to re-start a small flock of Old English Games again. I've decided on two colors: Crele and Lemon Blue. I've found an online hatchery that I've dealt with before to my satisfaction that offers a wide selection of color varieties...and I'm not too good at making decisions. Anyone out there with a favorite color of OEG? I'm looking at having a flock with three to four colors, so one to two more suggestions would be great. Any and all input is much appreciated!

I just ordered some Crele and Spangled that will be here next week. I already have a Red Pyle cockerel and Mille Fleur, Silver Duckwing, and BB Red females. The last two I consider sort of "boring" in looks. I like the look of splash but got that in rosecomb instead just for some variety. I also like barred, wheaten, porcelain, and self blue.

Next year we will be moving so I'll have to sell off most of my flock, I suppose. When I rebuild I may stick to mainly OEGBs for my bantams. That's how much I love them!

I just ordered some Crele and Spangled that will be here next week. I already have a Red Pyle cockerel and Mille Fleur, Silver Duckwing, and BB Red females. The last two I consider sort of "boring" in looks. I like the look of splash but got that in rosecomb instead just for some variety. I also like barred, wheaten, porcelain, and self blue.

Next year we will be moving so I'll have to sell off most of my flock, I suppose. When I rebuild I may stick to mainly OEGBs for my bantams. That's how much I love them!
Thanks for your reply! My previous flock consisted of Mille Fleur, BB Red, and Silver Duckwing. I agree with you that BB's and SD's look a little more on the plain side. I'm looking into Mille Fleur again as well. I also like the way self blue looks too. So many choices. OEG's are probably my favorite bantams too. Silkies aren't far behind though.

BTW Are you getting the creles sexed? I've read they can be sexed by down color but haven't found good pictures so I can sex mine when they arrive.
Unfortunately no. The hatchery where I'm going to order from only offers straight run. I'll look into that about sexing Creles. Probably going to only keep one or two roos, and I know a Crele will be sticking around. Just have to order enough to get a good ratio of males to females. I wish more hatcheries offered sexed bantams!

Cackle sells the creles sexed and I was going to order a sexed female but decided to get five straight run for almost the same price and take my chances lol
I've heard of Cackle but never ordered from them. Will have to look into them I guess. I was planning on ordering from Purely Poultry. They've been nice and easy to deal with. I'll probably do the same and order my different colors in groups of fives and hope for the best!
fl.gif
lol.png

I have iffy feelings about Ideal, but I did just get an email that they are including their Old English Game Bantams in their weekly special. They have a $25 limit, so for me it would about $40 shipped to get 25 of them in a variety assortment. They have 61 different colors/varieties of OEGBs. Even if you are not ready for this upcoming week's special they offer it almost monthly, it seems.. I am tempted to order some even though I have 30+ chicks shipping from Cackle at the same time. Their variety packs are really good. I got a bantam variety last September and had almost no duplicates.

Davesgardens.com may seem like a strange place to get chicken info. You can find ratings for several of the big chicken hatcheries - includes comments from real buyers. You do not have to pay a member fee just to use their " Garden Watchdog " (hatcheries included. When you go to their site just click products & sources, then "Garden Watchdog" and see what has popped up.

I started using them many years ago, when I was buying house plants - then after joining BYC was surprised they also rated hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom