"only as household pets" in Upper Chichester, PA

Hello
I just joined because of this post. I also live in Upper Chichester and was just deciding to get a copy of the local ordinance. I had called last year and was told I could not have chickens. I was also told that it was under consideration to allow chickens, no roosters I am going to really look into this further this year because I am determined to have chickens even if I have to move. Of course it would be easier to stay. I would love to have a chat about this. I have not joined an on line forum before so am not sure of proper etiquette here.

I am sure glad there is someone else close by that has an interest in chickens!
I was never able to get a straight answer from anyone at the township. The ordinance is clear, as long as they are not a nuisance. I keep a copy of the ordinance hanging on my fridge just in case... But so far, there has not been any problems. My neighbors do not complain and I make sure the coop is clean and the birds well cared for, so that there won't be any complaints.
Please keep me posted if they do make changes to the current laws!

I'm glad everything worked out. I am also raising chickens in Pennsylvania and there's no type of ordinance dealing with my type of zoned property. I'm waiting for someone from the township to show up and give me a hard time. I'm not bothering anyone and my neighbor's love the chickens. Why can't the government use common sense and leave decent people alone?

Hello
I just joined because of this post. I also live in Upper Chichester and was just deciding to get a copy of the local ordinance. I had called last year and was told I could not have chickens. I was also told that it was under consideration to allow chickens, no roosters I am going to really look into this further this year because I am determined to have chickens even if I have to move. Of course it would be easier to stay. I would love to have a chat about this. I have not joined an on line forum before so am not sure of proper etiquette here.
We are easy to get along with here. Just remember that this is a family site, act accordingly, don't swear........

and welcome to you from all of us !

I heard that Upper Chi tried to limit the number of pets to 2 dogs and 2 cats. really? It's such a shame that public officials have the time to waste on something so ridiculous. Look around our community, I see a lot more drug dealers than I see uncared for pets.
Everyone in the neighborhood knows I have chickens, even tho I hthem ever even met many of them. Maybe they peek over my 5' wooden fence to see what goes on in the privacy of my backyard. Some neighbors have taken the time to talk with me and i will gladly invite in anyone interested to meet my girls and see for themselves that they are not stinky, evil criminals, and with just a tiny but of knowledge, they all seem to agree that my chickens are adorable, clean and quite amusing to be around. My little flock has been in my backyard for just over a year, but i just heard from a neighbor that i had these chickens for fifteen years??? Funny, i only moved here five years ago... I am sure there are a lot of rumours flying around, but as i said, all are welcome to visit.
Chicken keeping has been a wonderful educational and nutritional experience for my family and I wouldn't have it any other way.
PS my husband is an excellent carpenter and now an experienced coop builder! He built our coop to match the house! Let me know if you need a custom coop built in your yard!

I heard about the dog/cat thing. That was the police chief trying to get that introduced. Was a year or two ago. It went nowhere. I've had chickens (different flocks) at my house for 8 or nine years and 4-5 years at my last house. All of my neighbors that their yard attaches to mine know I have them. I give them eggs and they love them. I've been thinking lately of trying to get them allowed but fear it will just ruin what I have. When I first moved back to chi I was told by an inspector that you can't have anything but a cat or a dog. He specifically told me no rabbits, ferrets, pigeons, chickens, peafowl, parrots and pigs. I laughed at him. I know several people that have rabbits and a person with a pig. They bring it to the cbl field on a leash.

Considering that not too many years ago this was all farmland, its hard to believe that chickens would even be questioned. Well, the way the ordinance reads now, only as pets provided not a nuisance (I keep it posted on my fridge). So far, I guess I'm not a nuisance, lol! although I have a whiney hen that squawks, been trying to break her of that with a little shot of the hose, seems to help, neighbor thinks its funny when I run for the hose.
Hey, glad to hear there are a few of us in Chi. If anyone ever runs into a problem, I'll be right there to back you up!

Back
Top Bottom