One rooster tried to spur the other! Does one need to go?!

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
So I have two roosters Almanzo and Royal. Royal is bigger but Almanzo is top rooster. They were out free ranging Almanzo was just pecking around when Royal jumped at his head trying to spur him. They will be one in Feb. they’ve never really fought besides Almanzo giving Royal peck here and there. Almanzo chased Royal off but he was slightly bleeding I think around his mouth and comb just a little. Well now they both look like they want to fight I tried to keep them distracted but I had to come in. I have a place I can give them to they would go to a good home it would actually be them place I got them from. Three of my other roosters have already gone there. I will really miss whoever I give away I love them both but I don’t want them to get hurt. So should I just let them fight it out and leave them or should I give one away? The question is which one? Almanzo has attacked me once but that was a little while ago and he hasn’t done it again. Royal has never attacked me but will his true colors show if Almanzo is not there? I would love to hear your thoughts I don’t know what to do!

Ok thank you for all your responses! Just to be clear Almanzo is top rooster. Royal attacked Almanzo who chased Royal off. They only come out for a little bit in the morning there are way too many predators around to let them free range all day. Do you think Royal would turn aggressive if Almanzo was gone?

There is no way to know for sure unless you try it

Sad to hear. What made you choose to rehome Almonzo? Who won the fight?
Almanzo was top but guessing from all the blood he was taking the worst of the fight. Royal hardly had anything. I broke up the fight and put Almanzo in a dog kennel. Almanzo is the one who is aggressive so that’s why. I got to cuddle with my girls again! It was so nice! Royal seems really nice and easy going so far.

Yeah what do you mean by the cuddling? Would he mind them sitting on my lap? Almanzo is gone. I’m hoping he’ll have a great life the other three are still doing good over there so hopefully he will too!

Hope he has a great life as well, with lots of company. IMHO, almost all, if not all males do not like people messing with their females. Some will tolerate it, for sure. Others, as in the case of Almanzo, not so much. Not saying you should only handle them when absolutely necessary, but cuddling with them like puppies would be slightly aggravating for any male. They are his girls, after all. Royal will soon realise this. Be careful, his behaviour might change

I always just let mine duke it out, there should be a winner, & a loser in about 15mins - 1hr(Depends on the individual birds). But if I see the fight going too far that's when interfere so the one on the losing end don't end up severely injured, or possibly dead. This is rare though.

I would let them fight it out. Given their age, it is very, very unlikely to be lethal, it usually isn't anyways. The other boy attacking you is a matter of its own. Are you willing to handle a male that might possibly attack you again? If the answer is no, then give him away regardless. Considering Royal is the top boy, I would not expect a difference in behaviour

The longest, nastiest fight I've had happen here was between my project Giant Silkie rooster, & a black Sumatra Rooster. The fight lasted about 8hrs, the Sumatra was a loser, & the Silkie was trying to kill him. I had to come to the Sumatras aid, though that particular rooster hated my guts. He was so sore, he had a limp, bloodied head, & didn't have a care about me. His recovery took several weeks.

Ok thank you for all your responses! Just to be clear Almanzo is top rooster. Royal attacked Almanzo who chased Royal off. They only come out for a little bit in the morning there are way too many predators around to let them free range all day. Do you think Royal would turn aggressive if Almanzo was gone?

From my limited experience roosters can be a bit tricky. They do have a base personality.
Royal may try to take you on when Almanzo is gone, but it should be a much less of an aggressive approach from him.
I have a bunch of roosters and one was very aggressive in attacking me. Finally it cost him his life. There are other roosters that seen to be giving it some thought and a very half hearted try. With those, all I to do is stop and look at them and talk to them and they change their mind.
However, as I said, I have a bunch of them so it's a different dynamic

I always just let mine duke it out, there should be a winner, & a loser in about 15mins - 1hr(Depends on the individual birds). But if I see the fight going too far that's when interfere so the one on the losing end don't end up severely injured, or possibly dead. This is rare though.
So they shouldn’t kill each other or hurt the other really bad?

Back
Top Bottom