One of my chickens is laying 2 eggs a day

alinas2010

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
Ravioli, a chicken we adopted from a neighbor at the begging of March has laid 2 eggs a day for the past 2 days. One of them is always very thin shelled while the other one is fine. Should I be worried? She is (my best guess) 2 to 3 years old. I think she’s a RIR or production red, not sure.

Before anyone asks, we have 5 hens and I’ve found 6 eggs the past 2 days. I’m positive it’s Ravioli laying the extra egg based on:

1.) shes laid her first egg of the day from the roost the past 2 days, which she does sometimes if she’s laying too early for sun, i think she’s still getting used to being in a new home. She’s always roosted in the same spot where I find her eggs in the mornings sometimes (as in the past 2 mornings) so I know it’s her laying from the roost. She’s the only hen who does this.

2.) all the other hens are free ranging in our yard and she’s crazy to get back over to the coop in the early afternoon. I have to physically open a gate to let her over. She’s been the only one over there after all other eggs (5 of them) are collected for the day.

Im very worried about the softness of the 2nd eggs she’s been laying. They eat a flock raiser/layer mix and have oyster on the side at all times. Is this just a weird glitch? I hope it doesn’t keep happening.

Attachments

• IMG_7108.jpeg
    IMG_7108.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_7072.jpeg
    IMG_7072.jpeg
    907.2 KB · Views: 38
My best guess would be making sure she still has plenty of oyster shells, ours did this for a small period of time when they were a yr old but she is older so I'm not sure.
Thanks. Hopefully it’s just a glitch and not going to continue. I worry about it breaking inside of her. I think if she’s a production red, she may start having issues with in the next year or so, sadly. Hoping this isn’t the start of that.

I was not aware there's "oyster flour" ... I happen to come across it (Amazon, garden section) when I was searching for 100% Oyster Shells. It came in handy when you need very fine OS to mix in their food for the extra kick of calcium OR you can feed her Calcium Carbonate with Vitamin D
Smart, I’m gonna have to look into that.

This keeps happening. The eggs she lays now have blotchy coloring and are often cracked. I am sad for her, I think she may be coming around to the issues that production breeds get :( In the mean time, will giving a calcium plus D3 tablet every day help with the soft shells so that they at least won’t break in her and cause infection?

Do i give my girl Ravioli 1 or 2 400 mg tablets of calcium plus D3 a day for her 2 brittle eggs a day that she’s been laying?

Back
Top Bottom