One Hen, Much Loved

Tori Te

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 9, 2016
We're a One Hen household here. We bought Roxi as a little chick from Atwoods Farm Store. Now, she is getting close to 10 years old and doing great. She is super smart, knows her name and comes running when called. Her favorite treats are blackberries, blueberries, roast beef and steak. A person who just happens to have feathers, Roxi is very outgoing, loves to be where the action is and always has to be wherever it is we are. Follows us around like a puppy. When temperatures got too low this past winter, she moved in the house and stayed the next 6 weeks at the Feed Tub Motel aka a big dog crate with a feed tub filled with straw. When the temperatures got warmer during the nights, she went back to living in her own hen house. She LOVES our Texas Longhorns, hangs out with them in the barn and lays down with them. Who would think that a hen would be so mothering to the heifers? But, it's Roxie In Charge! She may not be canine, equine or bovine but she is a member of the family, a wonderful hen and still lays eggs! Roxie is loved. Attached is her selfie watching tv, and photos of her helping trailer train the show calves and nestled in at the Feed Tub Motel on a cold winter's night.

Attachments

• Roxi 2.jpg
    Roxi 2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Roxi 4.jpg
    Roxi 4.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 8
  • Roxi 3.jpg
    Roxi 3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Roxi 1.jpg
    Roxi 1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 10
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Wow, Roxi is a super chicken! You are definitely doing well by her, Senior birds need extra detail paid attention to them like heat and such. I've had senior birds live into their early teens, wonderful birds they are! And yes they do get smart over the years, not only have they been around a long time but I think its their smarts that allows them to live so long! Give Roxi some lovin' for me! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom