One hen ate one of of my "hatch-a-long" eggs

Chiarabrook

Chirping
Nov 28, 2020
Good morning. I marked 13 eggs last week to see if they would hatch. Last night, I caught one hen eating one of the eggs, so I temporarily moved my broody hen and the remaining 12 eggs into my dog's crate, in my kitchen. Will it be safe to place Momma and the eggs in an open cat carrier in the coop, so the eggs aren't in the "favorite" nest or should I keep her, or the other hen, isolated? Thank you in advance.

Good morning. I marked 13 eggs last week to see if they would hatch. Last night, I caught one hen eating one of the eggs, so I temporarily moved my broody hen and the remaining 12 eggs into my dog's crate, in my kitchen. Will it be safe to place Momma and the eggs in an open cat carrier in the coop, so the eggs aren't in the "favorite" nest or should I keep her, or the other hen, isolated? Thank you in advance.
Do you have hens that might be aggressive towards chicks?

Not that I am aware, but this is my very first time ever attempting any sort of hatching. I've only ever purchased chicks then collected their eggs daily when they started laying.
Ok, so, the chicks could get hurt. I remember @MGG telling me they had a permanently disabled chick due to a non-mother hen. I generally separate the mamma for the first few weeks, but everyone has a different opinion on this.

Ok, so, the chicks could get hurt. I remember @MGG telling me they had a permanently disabled chick due to a non-mother hen. I generally separate the mamma for the first few weeks, but everyone has a different opinion on this.
Okay, I have them numbered, and actually caught the egg-eater, so I will set her up away from the others, but also place a cat carrier inside the coop, so Momma and hopefully, fertile eggs (they all had a darker area inside when I candled them last night) will have a safe zone away from the favorite nest.

Okay, I have them numbered, and actually caught the egg-eater, so I will set her up away from the others, but also place a cat carrier inside the coop, so Momma and hopefully, fertile eggs (they all had a darker area inside when I candled them last night) will have a safe zone away from the favorite nest.
Sounds like a good plan.

Let's pray it works. 😁 I don't know whose more excited about the idea of chicks, my 4 & 5 year olds or myself. Just out of curiosity, do you think the hen that ate the egg is NOT getting enough to eat? Could that be why she ate it?
What do you feed them? Do they have calcium access?

What do you feed them? Do they have calcium access?
I feed them organic scratch grain, fresh vegetables and fruit, worms, both from my garden and meal worms, oyster shell, grit, and some food scraps. I have just recently placed them in a run, before that ( during the winter) they roamed freely in my garden and around the backyard.

Back
Top Bottom