One eyed cross beak

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
I took this baby home from a chain store for a shot at life she was in the back.

She has one eye and cross beak.

I have been bringing her to the water every couple hours to show her where it is…

Haven’t yet seen her eat but I have it layed out on the ground so she can see it easier.

In the mean time I am syringe feeding raw egg yolk at her pace carelly….

Should I give her sugar water? she has electrolytes in current water.

Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Her name is Mildred

Attachments

• B24DF7A4-D542-471B-82C8-4557F9ABDC6B.jpeg
    B24DF7A4-D542-471B-82C8-4557F9ABDC6B.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 2220BEA0-9A50-4E55-B286-1CD1E4251CBB.jpeg
    2220BEA0-9A50-4E55-B286-1CD1E4251CBB.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 58
That is a severe crossbeak! She will not be able to pick food up off the ground with that beak, you will need to use a deep dish for feeding. Offering mash by wetting the crumbles is also advised as it is easier for chicks with misaligned beaks to scoop up than dry crumble.

Since crossbeaks tend to get worse as chicks grow she may soon reach a point where she will not be able to eat on her own at all, so if you aren't willing to euthanize her at that point you need to look up how to tube feed to get enough nutrition into her or she will starve to death.

You have taken on a high needs special needs chick there. With the missing eye and such a severe crossbeak I would be surprised if she didn't have other deformities internally. I'm glad you're giving her a chance at some sort of life, but please keep a close eye on her quality of life. Unfortunately, with her deformities, she is not likely to live very long no matter how much care she gets (she may make it to maturity but she's not going to be a 10 year old chicken)

That is a severe crossbeak! She will not be able to pick food up off the ground with that beak, you will need to use a deep dish for feeding. Offering mash by wetting the crumbles is also advised as it is easier for chicks with misaligned beaks to scoop up than dry crumble.

Since crossbeaks tend to get worse as chicks grow she may soon reach a point where she will not be able to eat on her own at all, so if you aren't willing to euthanize her at that point you need to look up how to tube feed to get enough nutrition into her or she will starve to death.

You have taken on a high needs special needs chick there. With the missing eye and such a severe crossbeak I would be surprised if she didn't have other deformities internally. I'm glad you're giving her a chance at some sort of life, but please keep a close eye on her quality of life. Unfortunately, with her deformities, she is not likely to live very long no matter how much care she gets (she may make it to maturity but she's not going to be a 10 year old chicken)
I have no problem tube feeding, do you think I can start that now to promote growth?

One thing I will do next time is warm the liquid just like we do with babies, it seemed to have made her cold fast.

So that’s something different for next tjme

I also ordered exact baby bird hand feeding food

So in the meantime bleandednup chick starter till then

Back
Top Bottom