Omg what did I do? (crossbreeding with cream legbar)

Thijs

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
I have a cream legbar rooster with some different breeds of hens. Marans, leghorn white, leghorn gold partridge, cream legbar hen, barnevelder, amrock... you get the picture :)

Last year I managed to get an olive egger out of the marans and cream legbar and it gave a black chicks which turned out in a black/white barred hen laying marvelous olive eggs. all chicks had the same color.

This year I was hatching some eggs and I didn't understand what was happening when they hatched. I seemed to have so many hens of the cream legbar at first sight that I started counting hens and roosters and I had more chicks than cream legbar eggs.==> Hence the title :)

1) cream legbar x cream legbar: recognizable hens and rooster chicks should be immidiately recognizeable
2) cream legbar x marans: black chicks; also not a problem
3) cream legbar x leghorn white: yello chicks; still fine

but then:

4) cream legbar x olive egger: it looked like there were 2 colors coming out of them: black chicks and cream legbar-ish chicks (little more brown-ish striping opposed to more black-ish that the cream legbar has).
5) cream legbar x leghorn gold partridge: chicks coming out looking almost exactly like the cream legbar hen chicks. luckily these eggs were seperate when hatching.

my question now is about 4)
Would this maybe mean that this crossbreed 4) is sex linked again? Why were the olive eggers all the same colors then?

I have a cream legbar rooster with some different breeds of hens. Marans, leghorn white, leghorn gold partridge, cream legbar hen, barnevelder, amrock... you get the picture :)

Last year I managed to get an olive egger out of the marans and cream legbar and it gave a black chicks which turned out in a black/white barred hen laying marvelous olive eggs. all chicks had the same color.

This year I was hatching some eggs and I didn't understand what was happening when they hatched. I seemed to have so many hens of the cream legbar at first sight that I started counting hens and roosters and I had more chicks than cream legbar eggs.==> Hence the title :)

1) cream legbar x cream legbar: recognizable hens and rooster chicks should be immidiately recognizeable
2) cream legbar x marans: black chicks; also not a problem
3) cream legbar x leghorn white: yello chicks; still fine

but then:

4) cream legbar x olive egger: it looked like there were 2 colors coming out of them: black chicks and cream legbar-ish chicks (little more brown-ish striping opposed to more black-ish that the cream legbar has).
5) cream legbar x leghorn gold partridge: chicks coming out looking almost exactly like the cream legbar hen chicks. luckily these eggs were seperate when hatching.

my question now is about 4)
Would this maybe mean that this crossbreed 4) is sex linked again? Why were the olive eggers all the same colors then?
Picture please!!

the legbar x leghorn white:
360.jpg

360.jpg

the legbar x marans (olive egger)(seems a yellow dot on the head)
360.jpg

the legbar x leghorn partridge (cream legbar hen look-a-like):
360.jpg

the legbar x olive egger (seems to have a white dot on the head)
360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

last 2 combined:
360.jpg

Last edited:
No you didn't make sex links. You made second generation barnyard mixes.
Genes come in pairs. Those pairs are either homozygous (both the same genes) or heterozygous (two different genes) When bred each parent passes one of their genes to the offspring.
Breeds have homozygous genes. With both genes being the same it's a given what gene will be passed on and a given the offspring will get the same pair as the parents. Thats what makes a breed. The ability to breed true and reproduce with the same results over and over.
When you cross two breeds the chicks are getting a set from each breed. The chicks look a like because although their genes are now heterozygous they all receive the same heterozygous pairs.
Now when you bred those chicks its a gamble which gene passes forward. With two different choices offspring start getting different gene pairings then each other and chicks start hatching looking differently depending on what genes they received.
Your OE was a mix of genes so when crossed back you're now seeing what happens in the second generation of mixing.
Your CCL are wild type on the e locus the Marans are extended black. Your OE are extended black/ wild type. When you crossed back all chicks received wild type from the CCL but from the OE they either received wild type or extended black.
The ones that received extended black are black. The ones that received wild type are your brown stripped ones.
So no you didn't make sex links you're just playing the odds with what heterozygous genes will do.
Make sense?

well since I don't know anything about genetics and and english isn't my native language, I'll have to read it a couple of times:). I guess I just created 2 different colors out of the 2nd generation. hope these legbar/leghorn gold partridge are nice looking chickens.

the legbar x leghorn white:
360.jpg

360.jpg

the legbar x marans (olive egger)(seems a yellow dot on the head)
360.jpg

the legbar x leghorn partridge (cream legbar hen look-a-like):
360.jpg

the legbar x olive egger (seems to have a white dot on the head)
360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

last 2 combined:
360.jpg
I had two chicks that look actually like that...she ended up being beautiful
20211118_180949.jpg
20211118_180944.jpg

well since I don't know anything about genetics and and english isn't my native language, I'll have to read it a couple of times:). I guess I just created 2 different colors out of the 2nd generation. hope these legbar/leghorn gold partridge are nice looking chickens.
Basically, yes, you bred 2 different colors out of the 2nd generation.

Your Marans is genetically E/E, the "E" is short for extended black. She has 2 copies of it.

Your Legbar is e+/e+, the "e+" is short for wild type, also called duckwing.

When you bred the first generation they received one "e" from each parent. All of your first generation hybrids are E/e+. Extended black is dominant over wild type. So even though they have a gene for each, only the effects of Extended Black "E" are visible.

When you bred the 2nd generation, the parents were e+/e+ (legbar) and E/e+ (olive egger). So all the offspring received an e+ from dad and from the mom they could have gotten E or e+. So some are pure for wild type, and others appear black, but can pass wild type to their offspring.

Gold Partridge leghorns are what we call Brown Leghorns in the US and they are wild type also.

Back
Top Bottom